Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Speculation, not facts, used against terrorism suspect Harkat, his lawyer tells judge

Speculation, not facts, used against terrorism suspect Harkat, his lawyer tells judge
A lawyer for terrorism suspect Mohamed Harkat told a Federal Court judge Tuesday the Algerian-born refugee has been linked to extremists through speculation, not hard evidence. Harkat, 56, was arrested in Ottawa in December 2002 on suspicion of being an al-Qaida sleeper agent.

Speculation, not facts, used against terrorism suspect Harkat, his lawyer tells judge

State memorial planned for former B.C. premier John Horgan

State memorial planned for former B.C. premier John Horgan
A provincial state memorial service for former British Columbia premier John Horgan will be held later this month in Colwood, west of Victoria. Horgan, who died in November after his third bout with cancer, will be remembered on Dec. 15 at the Q Centre arena, which has a capacity of about 4,000 people.

State memorial planned for former B.C. premier John Horgan

Canadians warned to use caution in South Korea after martial law declared then lifted

Canadians warned to use caution in South Korea after martial law declared then lifted
Global Affairs Canada is warning Canadians in South Korea to avoid demonstrations and exercise caution after the country's president imposed an hours-long period of martial law.  The situation in South Korea arose after President Yoon Suk Yeol imposed martial law on Tuesday, vowing to eliminate what he described as "anti-state" forces from the opposition that controls parliament.

Canadians warned to use caution in South Korea after martial law declared then lifted

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy
The Manitoba government is planning to open a trade office in Washington, D.C., in the new year to deal with threatened United States tariffs and promote investment opportunities in provincial sectors such as mining and aerospace. The move would bring Manitoba in line with Ontario, Alberta and some other provinces that have full-time trade representatives in the U.S. capital.

Manitoba government promises trade office in U.S. capital to boost economy

'Sleeping with the enemy': Mistrial in B.C. sex assault over Crown dating paralegal

'Sleeping with the enemy': Mistrial in B.C. sex assault over Crown dating paralegal
The B.C. Supreme Court has ordered a new trial for a man convicted of sexual assault after he learned his defence lawyer's paralegal was dating the Crown prosecutor during his trial. Justice Veronica Jackson ruled last week in Courtenay, B.C., that Cameron Gagne should get a new trial because his lawyer, Eric Chesterley, and prosecutor Nicholas Grabe failed to tell the court about the relationship. 

'Sleeping with the enemy': Mistrial in B.C. sex assault over Crown dating paralegal

B.C. woman on the lam in $60,000 Alberta meat scam arrested in Ontario

B.C. woman on the lam in $60,000 Alberta meat scam arrested in Ontario
A B.C. woman charged in connection with a 60-thousand-dollar meat scam last year has been arrested in Ontario. RCMP say Krysta-Lyn Williams of Penticton, was arrested in Picton, Ontario, last week with the assistance of Ontario Provincial Police.

B.C. woman on the lam in $60,000 Alberta meat scam arrested in Ontario