Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case
The British Columbia Securities Commission has imposed more than $18 million in sanctions on a cryptocurrency trading platform and its owner who it says diverted customers' assets to gambling and personal accounts. The commission says it has ordered David Smillie and his company, ezBtc, to pay $10.4 million representing the net amount they've gained from their customers "less repayments."

B.C. Securities Commission imposes $18 M in sanctions over crypto case

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women
Excavation and sifting started Monday of a section of a landfill believed to hold the remains of two slain First Nations women. Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew said he was at the site when the first truck moved a load of refuse from the area to a Quonset hut, where searchers are manually sifting through it in the hope of finding the remains of Morgan Harris and Marcedes Myran. 

Searchers begin sifting at landfill for remains of slain First Nations women

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts
The Better Business Bureau in British Columbia is warning Taylor Swift fans of scams ahead of the superstar's Vancouver concerts, highlighting one case in which a social media profile was allegedly hacked and used to sell fake tickets. It says $2,000 was stolen from fans hoping to attend the shows, which will be at BC Place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Taylor Swift fans warned of fake ticket scams ahead of Vancouver concerts

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues
Canada Post has presented the union representing some 55,000 striking postal workers with a framework to reach negotiated agreements, the corporation said. A statement issued Sunday said the framework includes proposals to bring greater flexibility to Canada Post's delivery model and shows "movement on other key issues" in the labour dispute that's stretching into the holiday season.

Canada Post presents union with 'framework' to reach deal as strike continues

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has demanded the federal government present a plan before Parliament to beef up border security as U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatens to impose stiff tariffs on Canada.

Poilievre calls for asylum seeker cap, border plan as U.S. tariff threat looms

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike
The U.S. Postal Service has temporarily suspended accepting mail headed to Canada due to the strike by Canada Post workers. It is asking customers to refrain from mailing items addressed to Canada, until further notice: The move by the U.S. Postal Service comes after some 55,000 Canada Post workers walked off the job more than two weeks ago.

U.S. Postal Service suspends accepting mail bound for Canada due to strike