Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP investigating death of Edmonton man after mixed martial arts fight

RCMP investigating death of Edmonton man after mixed martial arts fight
Mounties in Alberta are investigating the death of a fighter following a mixed martial arts charity event. RCMP Cpl. Troy Savinkoff said the man was taken to hospital after he fought Saturday at a community centre in Enoch Cree First Nation west of Edmonton. Parkland RCMP received a report of the man's death on Monday morning, he said.

RCMP investigating death of Edmonton man after mixed martial arts fight

Liberal GST holiday expected to pass soon as government introduces solo bill

Liberal GST holiday expected to pass soon as government introduces solo bill
The Liberal government introduced a stand-alone bill to implement its proposed GST holiday Wednesday, hours after the NDP threatened it would not pass the legislation if it was linked to a $250 rebate for working Canadians.

Liberal GST holiday expected to pass soon as government introduces solo bill

B.C. Premier Eby says U.S. tariffs would be 'devastating' for forest industry

B.C. Premier Eby says U.S. tariffs would be 'devastating' for forest industry
British Columbia Premier David Eby says 25-per-cent U.S. tariffs on Canadian goods would be "devastating" for the province's lumber and forestry industries. He made the comment ahead of a meeting with fellow first ministers and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

B.C. Premier Eby says U.S. tariffs would be 'devastating' for forest industry

Shots fired at a Delta home

Shots fired at a Delta home
Police in Delta say no one was injured after shots were fired into a home in the city yesterday morning. Police say the shooting happened at around 3 a-m, when an unknown suspect shot into the home located in the 113-hundred block of 92nd Avenue.

Shots fired at a Delta home

Mountie injured during arrest

Mountie injured during arrest
Mounties say the Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia has been called in to investigate after an officer was shot during an arrest near Midway yesterday. They say officers began surveilling a suspicious truck that travelled through several jurisdictions and eventually began driving up a forest service road near the Midway area.

Mountie injured during arrest

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive
Police say a hiker who was reported missing more than five weeks ago amid frigid conditions in northern British Columbia has been found alive. Northern Rockies RCMP say Sam Benastick was spotted on Tuesday when he flagged down two workers on a trail to Redfern Lake, about 250 kilometres southwest of Fort Nelson.

Hiker missing in B.C. wilderness for more than five weeks is found alive