Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet
A statement from the privacy commissioners of both Ontario and British Columbia says their joint report, completed in June 2020, found that LifeLabs "failed to take reasonable steps" to protect clients' data while collecting more personal health information than was "reasonably necessary."

LifeLabs data breach report released after firm loses four-year bid to keep it quiet

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the country's premiers will hold an emergency meeting on Wednesday to discuss the threat of steep new U.S. tariffs. The meeting will be held virtually at 5 p.m., the Prime Minister's Office said.

Trudeau, premiers to meet Wednesday after Trump trade threat

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says Canada is considering a number of measures at the American border, including additional resources.  This comes after president-elect Donald Trump threatened to impose 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian and Mexican imports unless action is taken to stem the flow of both migrants and illegal drugs crossing the border.

Canada may add more resources at the U.S. border after tariff threats: minister

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M
Tourism body Destination Vancouver says Taylor Swift will bring an estimated $157 million economic impact to the city next week with the three final concert dates of the record-breaking Eras Tour. Destination Vancouver says the forecast includes $97 million in direct spending on items including accommodation, food and transport.

Economic impact of Taylor Swift's Eras Tour in Vancouver estimated at $157 M

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief
Montreal's police chief says it's "impossible" for protest organizers to prevent people bent on violence from infiltrating demonstrations.  Fady Dagher says the organizers of Friday's anti-NATO protest in Montreal bear limited responsibility for the relatively small number of people who smashed windows during the demonstration. 

Violence in Montreal had nothing to do with pro-Palestinian cause: police chief

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say
The president-elect posted to Truth Social on Monday that he would sign an executive order imposing a 25 per cent tariff on all products coming in to the United States from Canada and Mexico.

Trump's 25% per cent tariff would lead to pain on both sides of border, leaders say