Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Former B.C. premier John Horgan passes away at 65

Former B.C. premier John Horgan passes away at 65
Ambassador to Germany and former British Columbia premier John Horgan has died at the age of 65, after his third bout with cancer. Horgan served as B.C.'s New Democrat premier for five years before stepping down in 2022, then was appointed ambassador last year.

Former B.C. premier John Horgan passes away at 65

'Do the work': Ottawa urges both sides in B.C. port dispute to restart talks

'Do the work': Ottawa urges both sides in B.C. port dispute to restart talks
Ottawa has urged both sides in the labour dispute at B-C ports to return to the table after the latest mediated talks collapsed over the weekend. A statement from federal Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon says both the employers and the union representing more than 700 longshore supervisors "must understand the urgency of the situation" as a lockout enters its second week.

'Do the work': Ottawa urges both sides in B.C. port dispute to restart talks

Canadian Union of Postal Workers issues 72-hour strike notice to Canada Post

Canadian Union of Postal Workers issues 72-hour strike notice to Canada Post
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has given 72-hour strike notice to Canada Post. The notice is for both the union's urban bargaining unit and its rural and suburban unit.  In a release early Tuesday morning, the union says workers will be in a legal strike position as of Friday if negotiated settlements have not been reached.

Canadian Union of Postal Workers issues 72-hour strike notice to Canada Post

No jail time for woman involved in theft of money for school supplies

No jail time for woman involved in theft of money for school supplies
A woman who stole more than 14-thousand dollars meant for school supplies and programs including hot meals for vulnerable kids won't spend any time in jail. The recent provincial court decision says the woman was the treasurer of the South Rutland Elementary Parents Advisory Council (PAC) in Kelowna when she began stealing the funds in 2016, soon after her husband lost his job.

No jail time for woman involved in theft of money for school supplies

Surrey police transition deal still in works, less than three weeks before handover

Surrey police transition deal still in works, less than three weeks before handover
The exterior of police stations will soon look different in Surrey. New signs have been ordered to reflect a transfer of policing responsibility to the municipal Surrey Police Service from the RCMP, after six years of planning and political turmoil. 

Surrey police transition deal still in works, less than three weeks before handover

Highway 1 in Burnaby closed after early morning crash sends five to hospital

Highway 1 in Burnaby closed after early morning crash sends five to hospital
Mounties in Burnaby say westbound lanes of Highway 1 near the city have been shut after a multi-vehicle crash. They say just before 3 a.m., officers responded to reports of a five-car collision on the highway, just east of the Kensington Avenue off-ramp.

Highway 1 in Burnaby closed after early morning crash sends five to hospital