Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ottawa urged to halt imports of endangered monkeys for drug testing, amid U.S. probe

Ottawa urged to halt imports of endangered monkeys for drug testing, amid U.S. probe
The influx of long-tailed macaques from Cambodia, which the U.S. alleges are being illegally captured from the wild, has animal advocates, researchers and opposition politicians sounding the alarm over animal welfare and potential public-health risks. The latest push comes from the federal NDP, which is urging Ottawa to bring "immediate attention" to the issue. 

Ottawa urged to halt imports of endangered monkeys for drug testing, amid U.S. probe

Telecommunication theft in Abbotsford

Telecommunication theft in Abbotsford
Police say they're investigating an increase in thefts targeting Telus communication lines in the Abbotsford area. A statement from Abbotsford police says the thefts have interrupted 9-1-1 service and resulted in 100-thousand-dollars' worth of damage.

Telecommunication theft in Abbotsford

Pedestrian struck in Surrey

Pedestrian struck in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey are asking the public for dash-camera footage after a crash that sent a pedestrian to hospital with serious injuries. R-C-M-P say it happened last night in the area of 188 Street and 60 Avenue, where the man was allegedly struck by the driver of an Audi Q-3 S-U-V.

Pedestrian struck in Surrey

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea
Last week, 24 members of the caucus signed on to a letter calling on the prime minister to step down, but the next day Trudeau said firmly that he will lead his party into the next election. Some of the dissenters are now calling for Liberal MPs to vote in a secret ballot on whether Trudeau should remain leader.

'Not how we do things,' Freeland rejects secret Liberal leadership ballot idea

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children
A final report into missing children and unmarked graves at residential schools is calling on the federal government to create an Indigenous-led national commission with a 20-year mandate to investigate missing and disappeared Indigenous children. It's also calling on Canada to refer itself to the International Criminal Court for investigation.

Special interlocutor calls for 20-year probe into missing Indigenous children

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature
British Columbia Premier David Eby has scheduled a meeting with the B.C. Greens as he prepares to form government, a day after securing the barest of majorities in a legislature where every vote will count. Eby told reporters Tuesday that he's open to working with opposition-in-waiting B.C. Conservatives — so long as they respect the "bright line" of rejecting hate, division and conspiracy.

Eby says NDP 'happy' to work with other parties in tight B.C. legislature