Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge
Jagmeet Singh's top adviser says the NDP leader is not particularly eager to trigger an election, even as the Conservatives challenge him to do just that. Anne McGrath, Singh's principal secretary, says there will be more volatility in Parliament and the odds of an early election have risen.

Top adviser says Singh not anxious to launch election, Conservatives issue challenge

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network
Don't put away your summer wardrobe just yet – The Weather Network says most Canadians are in for a warm fall. The network predicts that the majority of Canadians will see a slow transition into autumn as temperatures in most regions are expected to be above normal in the coming weeks. 

Most of Canada is predicted to have a warmer-than-normal fall: The Weather Network

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament
The three-day Liberal caucus retreat in Nanaimo, B.C., was the first chance for Trudeau to address his MPs as a group since they lost a long-held Liberal riding in Toronto to the Conservatives. The loss led to a fractious summer, and the focus of the gathering has been to reunite the party and turn their focus to the Tories.

Trudeau says he 'can't wait' to get into it with Poilievre in Parliament

Robbery at a BC liquor store

Robbery at a BC liquor store
Prince George R-C-M-P say a man has been taken into custody after robbing a liquor store.  R-C-M-P say officers received two reports about a man who seemed to be carrying a firearm showed up on Weisbrod Road close to the Hart Highway and the second report came in suggesting the man robbed a nearby liquor store. 

Robbery at a BC liquor store

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster
A British Columbia Supreme Court judge has declared a mistrial in the case of Kane Carter, who was accused of murdering a gang member and an innocent teenager who was passing by in his parents' vehicle. The jury came back Tuesday saying it was deadlocked after five days of deliberations in Carter's trial.

B.C. court declares mistrial in shooting deaths of teenager bystander and gangster

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting
B.C.'s police watchdog says an officer from the Vancouver Police Department might face charges in a shooting that killed a man two years ago.  A statement from the Independent Investigations Office says officers from the Vancouver Police Department responded to a call from the Patricia Hotel on May 5, 2022.

Police watchdog recommends charges against Vancouver police officer in fatal shooting