Saturday, February 14, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan
A prominent human rights group is calling on Ottawa to follow the U.S. and declare that recent actions by Sudan's paramilitary force amount to genocide. The Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights accused the Rapid Support Forces of carrying out a genocide in the Darfur region months ago, during Sudan's brutal civil war.

Human rights group asks Canada to join U.S. and declare another genocide in Sudan

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is bowing out of the race to replace Justin Trudeau as Liberal leader — making her the second cabinet minister to choose their current job over a chance to become prime minister.

Mélanie Joly will not run for Liberal party leadership, source confirms

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics
Yvonne Jones, Liberal member of Parliament for Labrador, says she won't be running in the next federal election. Jones has been public about her past battles with breast cancer, and she told a crowd in Happy Valley-Goose Bay that she is cancer-free, healthy and ready for new adventures.

Yvonne Jones, longtime Liberal MP for Labrador, retiring from federal politics

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone
Quebec said Friday it will send two more firefighting aircraft to California, a day after one of the province’s water bombers collided with a drone while battling the wildfires ravaging the Los Angeles area. The extra bombers will arrive following an incident that grounded one of the two planes from Quebec that had been assisting in California's wildfire fight.

Quebec sending more water bombers to California after aircraft struck by drone

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly off to Washington next week to talk tariffs

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly off to Washington next week to talk tariffs
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly heads to Washington next week to press the incoming Trump administration not to impose damaging tariffs on Canada. President-elect Donald Trump has threatened to impose 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs on imports from Canada and Mexico when he is inaugurated later this month.

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly off to Washington next week to talk tariffs

Flu driving spike in respiratory illness in B.C., but COVID-19 numbers low

Flu driving spike in respiratory illness in B.C., but COVID-19 numbers low
New data shared by British Columbia's Centre for Disease Control shows the province has one of the worst flu rates in Canada, as a holiday-season spike in respiratory illnesses continues. But the data also shows the province has one of the lowest COVID-19 test positivity rates in the country, at about half the national rate.

Flu driving spike in respiratory illness in B.C., but COVID-19 numbers low