Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Voters head to polls to fill vacancy in byelection in Lethbridge, Alta.

Voters head to polls to fill vacancy in byelection in Lethbridge, Alta.
Voters head to the polls today to pick a new legislature representative in Lethbridge-West. The legislature seat was left vacant after NDP MLA Shannon Phillips resigned July 1.

Voters head to polls to fill vacancy in byelection in Lethbridge, Alta.

Inmate dies after prison assault

Inmate dies after prison assault
Correctional Service Canada says an inmate has died after an assault at a B-C prison. The service says the 43-year-old inmate died Sunday while in the custody of the Kent Institution in Agassiz.

Inmate dies after prison assault

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways
Environment Canada has issued a number of snowfall and winter storm warnings on some B-C highways extending into today. The agency says winter storm conditions are in the forecast for the Sea to Sky Highway from Squamish to Whistler, as well as the Coquihalla from Hope to Merritt and Highway 3 between Grand Forks and Creston.

Snowfall warnings for some BC highways

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows
A senior Liberal close to the prime minister says Trudeau is being presented possible paths forward, including proroguing Parliament to allow a Liberal leadership race to take place.

Trudeau's advisers lay out his options as path to stay on as PM narrows

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis
Way down in the polls with 2025 set as an election year and no signs of a Liberal recovery on the horizon, Trudeau is facing a key moment where he must decide whether he should stay or go. Here's a look at some of the scenarios and possibilities the Liberals now face:

Potential scenarios for Liberals and the PM as Trudeau Government in Crisis

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault
Police say 43-year-old Sgt. Matthew Ball, and 40-year-old Const. Ryan Johnston formed separate "intimate" and "inappropriate" relationships with a woman in her mid-20s who they met while on duty, and it does not appear that the two officers acted together.

Two Saanich police officers charged with sexual assault