Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Jan, 2025 12:39 PM
  • Feds to contribute $663M for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over 10 years

The federal government says it's kicking in more than $663 million in funding for Metro Vancouver transit infrastructure over the next decade, beginning next year. 

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says in a statement the funding is coming from the federal government's Canada Public Transit Fund, which was announced in 2024. 

Wilkinson was to announce the funding in North Vancouver with members of the TransLink Mayor's Council and TransLink's chief executive officer, Kevin Quinn. 

A statement from regional transit operator TransLink and the federal government says the money will be handed out from 2026 through 2036, targeting "key improvements" to public transit in the face of "rapid population growth."

It says the funding will allow TransLink to improve existing transit infrastructure, and Quinn says in the statement that the funding will go toward a "much-needed transit expansion in Metro Vancouver." 

The Canada Public Transit Fund, announced by the Trudeau government last year, is set to start doling out $3 billion a year beginning in 2026, aimed at both public transit and so-called active transportation infrastructure. 

The federal government says the fund is "the largest public transit investment in Canadian history."

TransLink said in July that it was facing a operational funding gap of about $600 million per year to maintain services at current levels, and that without it being addressed all transit services would face "significant cuts."

Four months earlier, the B.C. government had given TransLink an injection of $479 million in provincial funding to maintain services and fares.

Wilkinson was representing Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities Nathaniel Erskine-Smith at Monday's announcement. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Jobless rate reaches 6.8% in November, highest since January 2017 outside of pandemic

Jobless rate reaches 6.8% in November, highest since January 2017 outside of pandemic
Statistics Canada’s November labour force survey says the jobless rate last month reached the highest since January 2017, outside of the COVID-19 pandemic. The unemployment rate was 6.5 per cent in October. Meanwhile, the economy added 51,000 jobs in November, with employment gains concentrated in full-time work and the public sector.

Jobless rate reaches 6.8% in November, highest since January 2017 outside of pandemic

B.C. children's minister stepping away from role after colorectal cancer diagnosis

B.C. children's minister stepping away from role after colorectal cancer diagnosis
British Columbia's Minister of Children and Family Development Grace Lore says she has been diagnosed with colorectal cancer and is temporarily stepping away from her role as minister. Lore said in a statement that she intends to participate in important votes in the legislature to ensure the stability of the NDP government, which holds a slim majority of one vote.

B.C. children's minister stepping away from role after colorectal cancer diagnosis

Brown: Indian diplomat pushed back when he used the words "Sikh nation"

Brown: Indian diplomat pushed back when he used the words
Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown said foreign interference did not tip the scales in the Conservative party's last leadership race that installed Pierre Poilievre at the helm. But he offered up Thursday that he changed some of the language he was using after getting pushback from an Indian diplomat that some of his comments could sound like he was endorsing ideas of Sikh nationalism.

Brown: Indian diplomat pushed back when he used the words "Sikh nation"

Home targeted in Abbotsford shooting

Home targeted in Abbotsford shooting
Police in Abbotsford are looking for a third suspect after a home was shot at this morning. Investigators say were no injuries reported and it's believed the incident to be targeted.

Home targeted in Abbotsford shooting

Feds outlaw another 324 types of firearms, propose donating guns to Ukraine

Feds outlaw another 324 types of firearms, propose donating guns to Ukraine
The move follows the May 2020 ban of 1,500 makes and models of firearms, a number that grew to more than 2,000 by November of this year as new variants were identified. 

Feds outlaw another 324 types of firearms, propose donating guns to Ukraine

Burnaby man sentenced for smuggling handgun

Burnaby man sentenced for smuggling handgun
A Burnaby man has been sentenced to five years in prison for trying to smuggle a Glock-style handgun and two prohibited magazines into Canada. Canada Border Services Agency says Russell Major was stopped at the Peace Arch Border Crossing in Surrey and a secondary search found the items.

Burnaby man sentenced for smuggling handgun