Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds working on plan to help Afghans: Minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2021 12:38 PM
  • Feds working on plan to help Afghans: Minister

Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino insisted Friday that Ottawa is working on a plan to help dozens of Afghans who are facing Taliban arrest or worse for having worked with Canada, but he stopped short of saying when that plan will become reality.

The federal government is under mounting pressure to help dozens of former interpreters, translators and cultural advisers who aided the Canadian military and development efforts during the war in Afghanistan.

Canadian veterans in particular have been sounding the alarm with growing concern, noting the Taliban’s rapid gains over the past couple of weeks after the sudden withdrawal of most U.S. forces from the country.

Those veterans say the risk of torture or death that their former colleagues and their families are facing grows every day they remain in the country, especially in the southern province of Kandahar.

Mendicino, in response to a reporter’s question while announcing a new refugee program to help people threatened for defending human rights, acknowledged the “tremendous urgency” of the situation in Afghanistan.

“I know even in the last number of weeks that the situation has gotten worse, that lives are on the line,” he said.

“Everybody within government is doing everything in our power to try and put the final strokes to this plan so we can put into action.”

Immigration officials are currently working with the Canadian military and Global Affairs Canada to identify Afghans who provided “essential support” to Canada, he added, including translators, interpreters and people who worked at the embassy in Kabul.

Yet Mendicino did not give a timeline for when help would actually arrive.

“The most important thing I want to convey with regards to this operation is that we know that Afghans put their own lives at risk by helping the Canadian effort in the war there, and we want to do right by them,” he said. “We hope to have more to say about that in the very near future.”

News that work is underway was greeted with cautious optimism from retired lieutenant-general Guy Thibault, chair of the Conference of Defence Associations, which counts numerous retired military officers and diplomats among its membership.

While recognizing the challenge of screening and processing visas for those who helped Canada’s war effort, Thibault pointed out that the federal government was able to screen and resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees in 100 days more than five years ago.

"Our shared sacrifices must not be forgotten nor should we forget those who came to our aid during this dangerous mission,” Thibault said in a statement.

“They were friends, allies and heroes. They deserve our greatest respect for the risks they took. Sheltering them from immediate danger is the least we can do. We urge the prime minister and his government to act swiftly and decisively.”

Three retired major-generals who previously commanded Canadian forces in Afghanistan have said there are 115 people in Afghanistan who need help.

Retired corporal Tim Laidler, who served in Afghanistan in 2008 and is now executive director of the Centre for Group Counselling and Trauma at the University of British Columbia, said Ottawa should simply restart a previous program to help Afghans.

While more than 800 Afghan interpreters and their family members were resettled in Canada under that program in 2009 and 2012, Laidler says many others wanted to stay in Afghanistan to help rebuild the country.

Laidler, who ran for the Conservatives in the 2019 federal election, said he and other veterans are now in touch with many of those former Afghan colleagues who have received death threats from the Taliban, but have no way to escape.

“These interpreters are a very special, unique group within the hearts of Canadian soldiers and definitely deserve the full support of the Canadian government,” he said.

“If we ever want to go into a conflict again, this needs to happen. Or else any time Canada goes overseas ... people are going to look back at this. They're watching us right now. They're saying: ‘Canada is going to turn its back on us if we put our necks out.’”

MORE National ARTICLES

Construction thefts spike in Vancouver: police

Construction thefts spike in Vancouver: police
Vancouver police say the department has seen a "significant increase" in break and enters at construction sites this year. Sgt. Steve Addison says in many cases the thieves have made off with thousands of dollars' worth of plywood and other building materials.

Construction thefts spike in Vancouver: police

More restrictions lifting as COVID infections slow

More restrictions lifting as COVID infections slow
Dr. David Williams said daily COVID-19 rates, hospital and intensive care admissions appeared to be trending downward, and some hospitals now had capacity to resume cancelled procedures.

More restrictions lifting as COVID infections slow

U.S. border agency says COVID vax not essential

U.S. border agency says COVID vax not essential
Canadians attempting to drive across the American border solely for a COVID-19 vaccination, even with a doctor's referral, would be denied entry, the U.S. border agency said on Wednesday. Unlike the Canadian government, Customs and Border Protection said it does not consider a vaccine essential for entry purposes.

U.S. border agency says COVID vax not essential

NDP plan to slash student debt would cost $4B: PBO

NDP plan to slash student debt would cost $4B: PBO
The New Democrats' campaign-style pledge this spring promised to cancel up to $20,000 in tuition, freeze loan payments through July 2022 and scrap interest payments, among other measures.

NDP plan to slash student debt would cost $4B: PBO

Parks Canada adapts to COVID-19 as camping starts

Parks Canada adapts to COVID-19 as camping starts
Parks have brought in some of their own measures as well to try to keep campers safe while enjoying the outdoors. "There will be, in different parks, different kinds of services," Wilkinson said.

Parks Canada adapts to COVID-19 as camping starts

$50M fund to support B.C. anchor attractions

$50M fund to support B.C. anchor attractions
Premier John Horgan and Tourism Minister Melanie Mark said they believe the $50-million BC Major Anchor Attractions Program is enough to prevent any of those not-for-profits and businesses on the edge from going under.

$50M fund to support B.C. anchor attractions