Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds working on plan to help Afghans: Minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Jul, 2021 12:38 PM
  • Feds working on plan to help Afghans: Minister

Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino insisted Friday that Ottawa is working on a plan to help dozens of Afghans who are facing Taliban arrest or worse for having worked with Canada, but he stopped short of saying when that plan will become reality.

The federal government is under mounting pressure to help dozens of former interpreters, translators and cultural advisers who aided the Canadian military and development efforts during the war in Afghanistan.

Canadian veterans in particular have been sounding the alarm with growing concern, noting the Taliban’s rapid gains over the past couple of weeks after the sudden withdrawal of most U.S. forces from the country.

Those veterans say the risk of torture or death that their former colleagues and their families are facing grows every day they remain in the country, especially in the southern province of Kandahar.

Mendicino, in response to a reporter’s question while announcing a new refugee program to help people threatened for defending human rights, acknowledged the “tremendous urgency” of the situation in Afghanistan.

“I know even in the last number of weeks that the situation has gotten worse, that lives are on the line,” he said.

“Everybody within government is doing everything in our power to try and put the final strokes to this plan so we can put into action.”

Immigration officials are currently working with the Canadian military and Global Affairs Canada to identify Afghans who provided “essential support” to Canada, he added, including translators, interpreters and people who worked at the embassy in Kabul.

Yet Mendicino did not give a timeline for when help would actually arrive.

“The most important thing I want to convey with regards to this operation is that we know that Afghans put their own lives at risk by helping the Canadian effort in the war there, and we want to do right by them,” he said. “We hope to have more to say about that in the very near future.”

News that work is underway was greeted with cautious optimism from retired lieutenant-general Guy Thibault, chair of the Conference of Defence Associations, which counts numerous retired military officers and diplomats among its membership.

While recognizing the challenge of screening and processing visas for those who helped Canada’s war effort, Thibault pointed out that the federal government was able to screen and resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees in 100 days more than five years ago.

"Our shared sacrifices must not be forgotten nor should we forget those who came to our aid during this dangerous mission,” Thibault said in a statement.

“They were friends, allies and heroes. They deserve our greatest respect for the risks they took. Sheltering them from immediate danger is the least we can do. We urge the prime minister and his government to act swiftly and decisively.”

Three retired major-generals who previously commanded Canadian forces in Afghanistan have said there are 115 people in Afghanistan who need help.

Retired corporal Tim Laidler, who served in Afghanistan in 2008 and is now executive director of the Centre for Group Counselling and Trauma at the University of British Columbia, said Ottawa should simply restart a previous program to help Afghans.

While more than 800 Afghan interpreters and their family members were resettled in Canada under that program in 2009 and 2012, Laidler says many others wanted to stay in Afghanistan to help rebuild the country.

Laidler, who ran for the Conservatives in the 2019 federal election, said he and other veterans are now in touch with many of those former Afghan colleagues who have received death threats from the Taliban, but have no way to escape.

“These interpreters are a very special, unique group within the hearts of Canadian soldiers and definitely deserve the full support of the Canadian government,” he said.

“If we ever want to go into a conflict again, this needs to happen. Or else any time Canada goes overseas ... people are going to look back at this. They're watching us right now. They're saying: ‘Canada is going to turn its back on us if we put our necks out.’”

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds expect 600K vaccine doses this week

Feds expect 600K vaccine doses this week
Pfizer and BioNTech have been consistently delivering doses even as other vaccine makers have struggled to keep their shipments flowing. They're set to increase their weekly deliveries to 2.4 million doses starting in June.

Feds expect 600K vaccine doses this week

New Westminster fire destroys several businesses in the area

New Westminster fire destroys several businesses in the area
The fire shut down Columbia Street between 6th and 4th streets. Luckily, no one was inside at the time and it doesn't seem like anyone was hurt. The fire has been full contained. 

New Westminster fire destroys several businesses in the area

Surrey RCMP called after assault with a weapon leaves a man injured in South Surrey

Surrey RCMP called after assault with a weapon leaves a man injured in South Surrey
According to Mounties there was no exchange of gunfire , the parties involved know each other,  and this is a stand alone incident and not linked to the ongoing gang conflict in the Lower Mainland.

Surrey RCMP called after assault with a weapon leaves a man injured in South Surrey

Man shot and killed in Coquitlam

Man shot and killed in Coquitlam
The area of Hart St and Henderson Ave is cordoned off with yellow police tape. The shooting takes place an hour after a man was gunned down in Calgary.     

Man shot and killed in Coquitlam

Delta Police violence suppression team to use body worn cameras

Delta Police violence suppression team to use body worn cameras
This decision by the Delta Police Board marks the first time in BC that a front line patrol police team will be using body-worn cameras on a regular basis, according to the vendor, Axon.

Delta Police violence suppression team to use body worn cameras

420 COVID cases for Friday

420 COVID cases for Friday
There are 4,507 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and a further 135,068 people who tested positive have recovered. There are 319 individuals currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 107 of whom are in ICU.

420 COVID cases for Friday