Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire sparked by RCMP trailer near Lytton, B.C., is being held and will be downgraded

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jul, 2025 09:44 AM
  • Fire sparked by RCMP trailer near Lytton, B.C., is being held and will be downgraded

A wildfire near Lytton, B.C., that ignited when a wheel fell off an RCMP trailer and prompted evacuations is now classified as "being held" and is no longer likely to spread.

The BC Wildfire Service says the change is due to "significant efforts" of firefighters with the help of favourable weather, which means the Izman Creek blaze will no longer be considered a wildfire of note.

Once the fire loses that classification — which designates a fire is generating particular interest, is highly visible or a threat to public safety — there will be no wildfires of note in B.C. 

The wildfire north of Lytton was sparked on July 1 by the RCMP vehicle failure in what Mounties have said was an unfortunate incident, a day after the fourth anniversary of a fire that destroyed most of the village.

The service says staff will remain on-site at the wildfire, which is listed as about 240 hectares in size, to continue mop-up and patrol to "ensure the area remains secure."

It is one of about 80 active fires across the province, about 20 per cent of which are classified as burning out of control.

The wildfire service says about 77 per cent of the fires are lightning-caused while about 20 per cent are human-caused and the rest are undetermined. 

The BC Wildfire Service also says in a post to Facebook that it has also deployed air tankers to help wildfire suppression efforts on a blaze in Washington state, south of Highway 3, between Christina Lake and Trail.

"At this time there is no threat to the Canada-US border," the post says.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Handout — BC Wildfire Service 

MORE National ARTICLES

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings
The proposed $32.5-billion settlement between the companies — JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. — and their creditors received unanimous support from those creditors in a vote last month and must now obtain the court’s approval.

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik
One of the admitted hitmen who killed former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik is set to be sentenced for his part in the murder today in a New Westminster, B.C., courtroom. Tanner Fox and accomplice Jose Lopez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last October, with Fox scheduled to be sentenced today, and Lopez due back in court on Friday. 

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism
The notion that "never again" can the world allow something like the Holocaust to happen feels like it is slipping away, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk both said Tuesday. The two leaders met in Warsaw a day after they joined dozens of other world leaders to mark the 80th anniversary of the liberation of the notorious Nazi death camp Auschwitz.

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election
Ford has said he is calling the snap election starting Wednesday because he needs a new mandate to deal with U.S. President Donald Trump, including his threat of imposing 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods, possibly starting Feb. 1.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.
A 21-year-old snowboarder who went missing last week at the Cypress Mountain Resort near Vancouver has been found dead in a gully.  West Vancouver Police say in a statement the snowboarder from Richmond, B.C., was reported missing Friday at about 10:45 a.m.

Missing snowboarder found dead on Cypress Mountain, B.C.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report
In her final report released Tuesday, inquiry Commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue concludes that while the threat of foreign interference is real, Canada's democratic institutions have held up well against the dangers.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report