Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire sparked by RCMP trailer near Lytton, B.C., is being held and will be downgraded

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jul, 2025 09:44 AM
  • Fire sparked by RCMP trailer near Lytton, B.C., is being held and will be downgraded

A wildfire near Lytton, B.C., that ignited when a wheel fell off an RCMP trailer and prompted evacuations is now classified as "being held" and is no longer likely to spread.

The BC Wildfire Service says the change is due to "significant efforts" of firefighters with the help of favourable weather, which means the Izman Creek blaze will no longer be considered a wildfire of note.

Once the fire loses that classification — which designates a fire is generating particular interest, is highly visible or a threat to public safety — there will be no wildfires of note in B.C. 

The wildfire north of Lytton was sparked on July 1 by the RCMP vehicle failure in what Mounties have said was an unfortunate incident, a day after the fourth anniversary of a fire that destroyed most of the village.

The service says staff will remain on-site at the wildfire, which is listed as about 240 hectares in size, to continue mop-up and patrol to "ensure the area remains secure."

It is one of about 80 active fires across the province, about 20 per cent of which are classified as burning out of control.

The wildfire service says about 77 per cent of the fires are lightning-caused while about 20 per cent are human-caused and the rest are undetermined. 

The BC Wildfire Service also says in a post to Facebook that it has also deployed air tankers to help wildfire suppression efforts on a blaze in Washington state, south of Highway 3, between Christina Lake and Trail.

"At this time there is no threat to the Canada-US border," the post says.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Handout — BC Wildfire Service 

MORE National ARTICLES

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges
Imperial Metals Corp. and two other firms were charged last month with 15 alleged Fisheries Act breaches, accused of allowing a "deleterious substance" from the mine's tailings pond into several bodies of water.

Mount Polley boss says 2014 B.C. mine spill not toxic as firm faces fisheries charges

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he is only aware of two genders — male and female — and that the government should leave people alone. In an interview with CP24 news channel, Poilievre was asked about President Donald Trump signing an executive order declaring the U.S. will only recognize two sexes and that they are unchangeable.

Poilievre 'not aware' of more than two genders; says there are other priorities

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race
Liberal leadership candidates Mark Carney and Chandra Arya have submitted their paperwork to enter the race ahead of tomorrow's deadline. The two appear to be the first through that gate, submitting the required signatures and a $50,000 deposit.

Carney, Arya file paperwork, officially entering Liberal leadership race

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says
The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

2 arrested for assault with a weapon
Police in Surrey say two men have been charged with multiple offences including assault with a weapon, uttering threats to cause death, and unlawful confinement after an incident at a city centre apartment on Monday. They say officers responded to a call from a resident at an apartment on Central Avenue who said that two men were acting violently and had a gun.

2 arrested for assault with a weapon

Home invasion in Sicamous

Home invasion in Sicamous
Mounties in Sicamous say a man has been charged with multiple offences for breaking into a home in Malakwa last Saturday. They say the man was allegedly armed with a weapon and got into a confrontation with the residents inside.

Home invasion in Sicamous