Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper
More financial support is on the way for fire-ravaged Jasper, Alta., as the federal government has announced $187 million in new funding for the town's rebuild. It is the largest funding package to be announced since a runaway wildfire ripped through Jasper National Park and destroyed a third of the town last July.

Federal government commits $187M to rebuild critical infrastructure in Jasper

Confused about Mark Carney's blind trust? Here's how they work

Confused about Mark Carney's blind trust? Here's how they work
Prime Minister Mark Carney's critics have been asking pointed questions lately about the assets in the former central banker's blind trust — a tool meant to allow politicians to avoid conflicts of interest. How do blind trusts work?

Confused about Mark Carney's blind trust? Here's how they work

B.C. Greens want answers about New Democrats' emergency powers legislation

B.C. Greens want answers about New Democrats' emergency powers legislation
Interim Leader Jeremy Valeriote said in a statement that while he understands the "urgency of the situation" given the ongoing trade strife with the United States, the proposed Bill 7 in its current form has "vague wording" and "could allow for sweeping economic decisions without clear limits or transparency."

B.C. Greens want answers about New Democrats' emergency powers legislation

Poilievre wants 'shovel ready zones' with pre-approved construction permits

Poilievre wants 'shovel ready zones' with pre-approved construction permits
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre wants to create what he calls "shovel ready zones" that would have pre-approved permits for major projects resources or energy projects. In a media statement, Poilievre says that the goal is to permits in place for a mine, liquefied natural gas plant, pipeline or other major project. 

Poilievre wants 'shovel ready zones' with pre-approved construction permits

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau
A major federal union says it's worried about a plan to eliminate more than 300 positions at Canada’s Translation Bureau. In a news release, the Canadian Association of Professional Employees says it’s condemning a five-year business plan that would shrink the bureau’s workforce by almost 25 per cent.

Federal union concerned about planned cuts to Translation Bureau

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday
Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to launch a federal election campaign on Sunday and send Canadians to the polls as soon as April 28. While sources would not confirm the date of the vote, federal campaigns must run at least 37 days.

Prime Minister Mark Carney expected to call federal election on Sunday