Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Carney says U.S. must stop 'disrespectful' comments before trade talks take place

Carney says U.S. must stop 'disrespectful' comments before trade talks take place
Prime Minister Mark Carney says United States President Donald Trump will have to stop his "disrespectful" comments about Canada before any bilateral conversations take place. Carney says Canada wants to have a "more comprehensive discussion" with the Trump administration about the overall commercial and security relationship.

Carney says U.S. must stop 'disrespectful' comments before trade talks take place

AHS confirms cases of measles in Edmonton, public exposure possible in two locations

AHS confirms cases of measles in Edmonton, public exposure possible in two locations
Alberta Health Services says it has confirmed multiple cases of measles in the Edmonton area. An advisory issued by the health authority Sunday warns that public exposure to the highly contagious disease may have occurred at two Edmonton locations last week.

AHS confirms cases of measles in Edmonton, public exposure possible in two locations

Former prime minister Brian Mulroney to be featured on Canada Post stamp

Former prime minister Brian Mulroney to be featured on Canada Post stamp
Former prime minister Brian Mulroney will be featured on a stamp as part of Canada Post's 2025 lineup. Mulroney, who died last year, served as prime minister from 1984 to 1993.

Former prime minister Brian Mulroney to be featured on Canada Post stamp

Carney, Macron launch new bilteral partnership on intelligence and security

Carney, Macron launch new bilteral partnership on intelligence and security
Carney and Macron discussed a new bilateral partnership on intelligence and security, focused on enhancing cybersecurity and sharing intelligence on "significant threats," the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement about the conversation.

Carney, Macron launch new bilteral partnership on intelligence and security

B.C. hydro rates to increase in 2025, 2026 but remain among lowest in North America

B.C. hydro rates to increase in 2025, 2026 but remain among lowest in North America
Adrian Dix says the government will be submitting a "rate stability direction" to the B.C. Utilities Commission for approval of a BC Hydro rate increase of 3.75 per cent on April 1 and for the same bump next year.

B.C. hydro rates to increase in 2025, 2026 but remain among lowest in North America

Quebec aluminum towns aren’t feeling the sting of 25 per cent U.S. tariffs

Quebec aluminum towns aren’t feeling the sting of 25 per cent U.S. tariffs
Layoffs aren't expected at Aluminerie Alouette in Sept-Îles, Que., a major aluminum producer with some 950 employees, says the town's mayor, Denis Miousse. The company, which describes itself as the biggest aluminum smelter on the continent, can find new export markets if demand weakens in the U.S.

Quebec aluminum towns aren’t feeling the sting of 25 per cent U.S. tariffs