Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jul, 2025 11:18 AM
  • Fire that triggered evacuations and shut Kelowna, B.C., airport brought under control

The BC Wildfire Service says a blaze that shut down Kelowna's airport and triggered a handful of tactical evacuations has been brought under control.

Police began telling residents to get out on Sunday afternoon and later that night the Regional District of Central Okanagan ordered residents out of homes at seven addresses at risk from the Whelan Creek wildfire.

That evacuation order was being downgraded to an alert as of 6 p.m. Monday and those residents will join people living at more than 100 other addresses being told that they need to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

The airport west of the fire shut down its operations on Sunday due to the blaze, but issued an update Monday saying it had returned to regular operations, although it cautioned that passengers may experience cancellations or delays.

The wildfire service says the fire isn't projected to spread beyond its current perimeter, and it was estimated at about six hectares in size.

Mounties previously reported that the blaze had been burning uphill toward Postill Lake, northeast of Kelowna, and toward several other nearby lakes that have cabins and campsites.

It is one of about 80 blazes currently burning across B.C.

The service said in an update on Monday that a cold front was likely to bring windy conditions throughout the province on Tuesday, and combined with high temperatures and dry conditions it could "elevate the fire danger rating."

It said, however, that areas behind the cold front will see cooler temperatures and may see some rain.

The wildfire service has lifted a ban on campfires in the Fort Nelson Forest District, covering the province's northeast. Larger fires remain banned, as well as fireworks, fire lanterns and other devices.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Marissa Tiel

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is rejecting NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's call for the federal government to bar U.S. President Donald Trump from coming to Canada for the G7 summit this June. At an event in Montreal today, Trudeau said he sees the idea of banning Trump as an "irresponsible" approach to governance and dialogue with other nations.

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine
The federal government is moving closer to gaining full control over a massive Russian cargo plane parked in Toronto and hopes to use the proceeds to support Ukraine. In June 2023, the federal government officially seized an aircraft that had been sitting on the tarmac at Toronto's Pearson International Airport since February 2022.

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader
A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader. Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program
The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association says its members are urging all federal parties to keep funding the national dental care program, arguing it's good for the economy. The association says access to oral health care and preventive care increases worker productivity and keeps people from taking sick days. 

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he still intends to slap Canada with tariffs next week after a monthlong reprieve. But Canadians confused about Trump's plans aren't alone, with the U.S. president at times contradicting himself about his own tariff plans.

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security
Canadian law enforcement and border officials joined McGuinty and Canada's newly appointed "fentanyl czar" Kevin Brosseau in the U.S. capital this week to make a final diplomatic push against the tariffs. Trump's executive order to implement 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian imports, with a lower 10 per cent levy on energy, was delayed until March 4 after Canada agreed to introduce new security measures at the border.

Public safety minister says Canada has answered U.S. demands on border security