Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire-ravaged Lytton getting 'community hub' with museum, pool, market space

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Feb, 2025 01:22 PM
  • Fire-ravaged Lytton getting 'community hub' with museum, pool, market space

The federal government is promising more than $25 million to help build a new "community hub" in the Village of Lytton years after much of the B.C. town was wiped out by fire.

A statement from the Ministry of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities says the new building is expected to include a community-sized pool and fire reservoir, a museum, a market space, multi-purpose rooms and accessible washrooms.

The $25.9 million in federal funding announced Wednesday is part of $77 million in support that was promised in 2022.

A devastating wildfire in June of 2021 destroyed 90 per cent of the structures in Lytton one day after the community of about 200 people hit a Canadian temperature record of 49.6 C.

The government statement says the new hub will be fire-resilient and built to net-zero emission standards.

Lytton Mayor Denise O'Connor says in the statement that residents are thankful for the money.

"We have heard from the community how we need this place to gather, recreate, and be together. The community hub will support reconciliation; economic and climate resiliency; emergency preparedness and response; and arts, recreation, and culture, and serve residents of the village and surrounding areas for years to come," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau repeats call for Lebanon ceasefire after third Canadian killed in conflict

Trudeau repeats call for Lebanon ceasefire after third Canadian killed in conflict
The prime minister offered condolences today to the family of a Canadian who was killed in the ongoing fighting in Lebanon. Justin Trudeau reiterated Canada's call for a ceasefire in Lebanon and in Gaza when he spoke with reporters at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit in Laos.

Trudeau repeats call for Lebanon ceasefire after third Canadian killed in conflict

As ASEAN Summit wraps, Trudeau says Canada needs to keep showing up in Southeast Asia

As ASEAN Summit wraps, Trudeau says Canada needs to keep showing up in Southeast Asia
Canada needs to keep up its presence in Southeast Asia if it wants to benefit from the region's economic boom, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday as he wrapped up his visit to Laos. Trudeau participated in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit this week, marking the third consecutive time he's attended the annual meeting.

As ASEAN Summit wraps, Trudeau says Canada needs to keep showing up in Southeast Asia

Police probe clears seven Vancouver officers in beating death of Myles Gray

Police probe clears seven Vancouver officers in beating death of Myles Gray
Seven Vancouver police officers involved in the beating death of Myles Gray nine years ago have been cleared of wrongdoing by a police discipline authority. The Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner said it was reviewing the decision over the 2015 death of Gray, which was classified as a homicide by a coroner's inquest last year.

Police probe clears seven Vancouver officers in beating death of Myles Gray

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September
Statistics Canada reported on Friday that the economy added 47,000 jobs in September, while the unemployment rate declined for the first time since January to 6.5 per cent. The overall job gains followed four consecutive months of little change, the agency said.

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September

Man charged in shooting

Man charged in shooting
Vancouver police say a 28-year-old man has been charged in the shooting death of a man in the Downtown Eastside. Officers say they responded to a call on August 29th after a 43-year-old man was shot and the victim died at the scene. 

Man charged in shooting

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing
A Surrey man has been handed a ten-year sentence for a triple stabbing in 2020 that killed his sister-in-law and left his niece and elderly father seriously injured.  The man was convicted of one count of manslaughter and two counts of aggravated assault. 

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing