Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fire-ravaged Lytton getting 'community hub' with museum, pool, market space

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 19 Feb, 2025 01:22 PM
  • Fire-ravaged Lytton getting 'community hub' with museum, pool, market space

The federal government is promising more than $25 million to help build a new "community hub" in the Village of Lytton years after much of the B.C. town was wiped out by fire.

A statement from the Ministry of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities says the new building is expected to include a community-sized pool and fire reservoir, a museum, a market space, multi-purpose rooms and accessible washrooms.

The $25.9 million in federal funding announced Wednesday is part of $77 million in support that was promised in 2022.

A devastating wildfire in June of 2021 destroyed 90 per cent of the structures in Lytton one day after the community of about 200 people hit a Canadian temperature record of 49.6 C.

The government statement says the new hub will be fire-resilient and built to net-zero emission standards.

Lytton Mayor Denise O'Connor says in the statement that residents are thankful for the money.

"We have heard from the community how we need this place to gather, recreate, and be together. The community hub will support reconciliation; economic and climate resiliency; emergency preparedness and response; and arts, recreation, and culture, and serve residents of the village and surrounding areas for years to come," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert
Police in Prince Rupert say three people have been arrested in a series of searches that turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs in the city. Mounties say police executed multiple search warrants on September 6th on homes on  Second Avenue West and Ninth Avenue East, as well as a vessel tied up at Atlin Terminal.

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge
Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P say the community is facing an ongoing extortion scam that has triggered five reports to police in three days. Police say scammers are contacting residents with claims of having compromising photos and videos of the victim.

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey
British Columbia's independent police watchdog has been notified after a women was shot and killed by police in Surrey. RCMP say in happened Thursday when police were called to a disturbance at a home at about 4:40 a.m.

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition
R-C-M-P and the Surrey Police Service are set to keep working alongside each other, even after the takeover date by the municipal police force. The S-P-S is slated to take jurisdiction of Surrey on November 29th, but says the R-C-M-P will continue to operate in the area and help with transition support. 

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing
Surrey R-C-M-P say one youth has been charged following a stabbing attack on two men earlier this month. Police say on September 11th, officers responded to calls of a fight on 130-A Street.

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing