Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Nov, 2024 11:48 AM
  • First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent.

The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

The B.C. government announced Thursday that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete.

The ministry said it was the first project entirely assessed under the new Environmental Assessment Act, which was modernized to enhance public confidence, and was done in consultation with experts, the public and First Nations, including the Xatśull. 

But the Xatśull nation says it did not consent, which showcases "troubling inconsistencies" with how B.C. deals with First Nations and "demonstrates a lack of commitment" to adhere to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

The nation says it is considering all legal options and is calling on the newly appointed mines minister, Jagrup Brar, to "ask for clarification on the inconsistent application of UNDRIP across government, including his ministry."

"Xatśull would like to see sustainable resource development in our territory, but it has to be done properly," it says in a news release. 

"The government must honour its commitments and truly collaborate with Xatśull in a respectful and inclusive manner and in alignment with UNDRIP. That means immediately moving to consent-based decision-making with Xatśull in relation to major permits and authorization for mines in our territory."

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP investigate fatal stabbing at corn maze outside Edmonton

RCMP investigate fatal stabbing at corn maze outside Edmonton
RCMP are investigating a fatal stabbing at a corn maze west of Edmonton. They say they received the call about a stabbing at the Edmonton Corn Maze around 7 p.m. Tuesday.

RCMP investigate fatal stabbing at corn maze outside Edmonton

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general
Michael Pickup says in a statement the investigation looked into accounting firm MNP's handling of Advanced Research and Commercialization grant applications, reviewing "a significant amount of information" from the company, the government and all applicants.

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment
The British Columbia government is expanding access to drug-addiction treatment by launching a confidential and free phone line offering same-day connections to doctors and health-care professionals. The Opioid Treatment Access Line can connect people in need with a team of doctors and nurses who are available seven-days-a-week to prescribe life-saving opioid agonist medications. 

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control
The number of out-of-control wildfires continues to drop in British Columbia on the heels of a cold front bringing rain and fall-like temperatures to many areas. About 280 blazes remain active across the province with 15 per cent or just over 40 of those fires classified as burning out of control.

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP
A 29-year-old man has been arrested after what police say was a violent carjacking outside the Prince George Airport. Prince George RCMP say the elderly driver suffered serious injuries when the vehicle crashed and he was thrown from the scene.

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters
Cellphone use will be restricted in all British Columbia school districts when pupils return next week, as the province becomes the latest to curtail the use of the devices in classrooms. Premier David Eby says all school districts now have policies in place to ban cellphone use "bell to bell," in line with a government directive announced in April.

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters