Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Nov, 2024 11:48 AM
  • First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent.

The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

The B.C. government announced Thursday that Barkerville Gold Mines, owned by Osisko Development Corp., was issued the permit for the underground mine in a process that took 13 months to complete.

The ministry said it was the first project entirely assessed under the new Environmental Assessment Act, which was modernized to enhance public confidence, and was done in consultation with experts, the public and First Nations, including the Xatśull. 

But the Xatśull nation says it did not consent, which showcases "troubling inconsistencies" with how B.C. deals with First Nations and "demonstrates a lack of commitment" to adhere to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

The nation says it is considering all legal options and is calling on the newly appointed mines minister, Jagrup Brar, to "ask for clarification on the inconsistent application of UNDRIP across government, including his ministry."

"Xatśull would like to see sustainable resource development in our territory, but it has to be done properly," it says in a news release. 

"The government must honour its commitments and truly collaborate with Xatśull in a respectful and inclusive manner and in alignment with UNDRIP. That means immediately moving to consent-based decision-making with Xatśull in relation to major permits and authorization for mines in our territory."

MORE National ARTICLES

Some key issues to watch for in B.C.'s provincial election campaign

Some key issues to watch for in B.C.'s provincial election campaign
The British Columbia provincial election campaign is expected to officially kick off Saturday, but party leaders have been vying for votes for months in the lead up to the Oct. 19 fixed election day. Here's a look at some of the issues that are expected to be front and centre over the next month and what the political parties have said about them so far.

Some key issues to watch for in B.C.'s provincial election campaign

B.C. election campaign starts Saturday; but Eby takes bus on test run, Rustad at UBCM

B.C. election campaign starts Saturday; but Eby takes bus on test run, Rustad at UBCM
Eby spoke to local politicians yesterday at the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention, as they presented a laundry list of concerns for the provincial government at the meeting, from homelessness to the overdose crisis and more support funding.

B.C. election campaign starts Saturday; but Eby takes bus on test run, Rustad at UBCM

Could a cap on grad students from abroad hurt more than help? Experts raise the alarm

Could a cap on grad students from abroad hurt more than help? Experts raise the alarm
Students attending master's, doctoral and postdoctoral courses were previously exempt from the overall cap on international students that Immigration Minister Marc Miller announced in January but they are now included in a further reduction of student visas he announced this week.

Could a cap on grad students from abroad hurt more than help? Experts raise the alarm

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert
Police in Prince Rupert say three people have been arrested in a series of searches that turned up a significant amount of illicit drugs in the city. Mounties say police executed multiple search warrants on September 6th on homes on  Second Avenue West and Ninth Avenue East, as well as a vessel tied up at Atlin Terminal.

3 arrested in drug seizure in Prince Rupert

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge
Ridge Meadows R-C-M-P say the community is facing an ongoing extortion scam that has triggered five reports to police in three days. Police say scammers are contacting residents with claims of having compromising photos and videos of the victim.

Ongong extortion scam in Maple Ridge

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study