Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

First Nations group presses Ottawa to come back to the table for child welfare talks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jan, 2025 05:00 PM
  • First Nations group presses Ottawa to come back to the table for child welfare talks

The First Nations Child and Family Caring Society is calling on the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal to force the federal government back to the negotiation table on national reforms to the child welfare system after chiefs voted down proposed changes on two occasions last year.

The national chief of the Assembly of First Nations is asking for an update from the Caring Society months after chiefs put it and a newly formed committee in charge of seeking new negotiations with Canada, and after Canada informed the assembly it was only prepared to renegotiate with First Nations in Ontario.

“The AFN remains quite concerned with recent developments, particularly if any of the financial commitments under the agreement-in-principle or the draft final agreement will continue to be secured for First Nations children and families moving forward,” National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak said in a letter to First Nations Child and Family Caring Society director Cindy Blackstock on Tuesday.

“In light of these uncertainties, compounded by the current state of government and likely election in the short-term, I would certainly appreciate any clarity you can provide in relation to efforts to end the discrimination to which our children have been subjected to for so long.”

The Caring Society filed a motion with the tribunal Tuesday calling for an order directing the federal government to negotiate child welfare reforms with both the society and the Assembly of First Nations, and ensuring the society has a seat at the table for coming consultations between the AFN and Ottawa on First Nations child welfare reform in Ontario.

Those consultations were announced on Jan. 7 — one day after the federal government told the AFN in a confidential letter it could not renegotiate a $47.8 billion child welfare reform agreement on a national level.

That $47.8 billion deal was struck between Canada, the Chiefs of Ontario, Nishnawbe Aski Nation and the Assembly of First Nations in July after a nearly two-decades-long legal fight over the federal government’s underfunding of on-reserve child welfare services.

The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal said that underfunding was discriminatory because it meant kids living on reserve were given fewer services than those living off reserve.

The tribunal told the federal government to negotiate an agreement with First Nations to reform the system, and to compensate children who were torn from their families and put in foster care.

The $47.8 billion agreement was to cover 10 years of funding to allow First Nations to take control of their child welfare services from the federal government, create a body to deal with complaints and set aside money for prevention, among other things.

Blackstock, who helped launched the initial human rights complaint, had been consulting with First Nations leaders for months before the deal was struck down. So were Woodhouse Nepinak and the Assembly of First Nations.

Blackstock argued the deal didn't go far enough in reforming child welfare systems and repeatedly said chiefs could get a better deal if they returned to negotiations. Woodhouse Nepinak called it the best offer on the table to reform a colonial system and expressed disappointment when it was struck down.

Chiefs outside of Ontario rejected the proposed deal in October, voting instead to change their legal and negotiation teams and calling for Canada to seek a new negotiation mandate.

But with Ottawa telling the Assembly of First Nations last week it's only prepared to renegotiate with First Nations in Ontario - which were largely in favour of the initial agreement - other regions are left wondering what will happen with reforms in their communities.

Blackstock said Canada's decision to negotiate solely with Ontario isn't acceptable when it has a legal responsibility to every First Nation child in the country.

"That's not good faith in negotiations," she said Wednesday.

"(Indigenous Services Minister Patty Hajdu) has an obligation to all First Nations children across this country to end the discrimination, and she has no answer for what's going to happen to the other kids. That's not good enough."

In a statement Wednesday, a spokesperson for Hajdu said the government made "every effort" to reach a fair deal and it makes sense to negotiate with Ontario and finish the work they started.

In her letter, Woodhouse Nepinak appears to be calling on Blackstock to show results.

The national chief says in the letter that Blackstock is in charge of overseeing the new child welfare negotiation team but hasn't offered any updates on efforts to negotiate with an unwilling federal government.

Woodhouse Nepinak said she wants to know how negotiators intend to secure the level of funding that was in the previous deal, include off-reserve children and the Yukon in reforms and maintain some aspects of the previous deal that were not mandated by the tribunal's orders.

Blackstock said she hasn't responded to the national chief's letter yet. She said it's the job of organizations like hers to point out the strengths and weaknesses of any approach to end discrimination, while it's up to chiefs to make their own decisions.

"We presented our point of view and the First Nations did due diligence and made the choice they made," she said.

"The way forward is getting Canada back through a tribunal order to negotiate in good faith, and to work on an evidence-based approach that has been costed out by public finance experts."

MORE National ARTICLES

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel
A team has been selected to design a new eight-lane tunnel to replace the aging George Massey Tunnel under the Fraser River in Metro Vancouver, with British Columbia's transportation minister calling it a "huge step" for the project. Rob Fleming says the selection of the preferred proponent for the tunnel project, Cross Fraser Partnership, means design plans can now be finalized.

Team chosen to design eight-lane replacement for B.C.'s Massey tunnel

Another body found in English Bay

Another body found in English Bay
Vancouver police say two women have been found dead in English Bay since Sunday, and they're wondering if the pair are somehow linked. The V-P-D says one woman's body washed up on shore near the Kitsilano Yacht Club on Monday, but it's not known how she died or whether or not it was a crime. 

Another body found in English Bay

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires
British Columbia's wildfire service says a significant change in the weather could cause another burst of wildfire activity, with extensive thunderstorms expected in the north and parts of the south following weeks of hot and dry weather. A bulletin from the service says B.C. saw thousands of lightning strikes over the weekend, mostly in the north, with more in the forecast.

Storms with high winds, possible hailstones expected to fan flames of B.C. wildfires

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's
Miller says the replacement documents include permanent resident cards, Canadian citizenship certificates, passports and other travel documents that were lost, damaged or destroyed by wildfires. The special measures are in place until November 30th of this year.

Wildfire replacement documents coming for citizens and PR's

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week
Homicide investigators say they want to speak with anyone who may know more about a 17-year-old who was found dead in Surrey last week.  Police say they’ve determined the death of Michael Zhao has no connections to the B-C gang conflict and it appears to be an isolated death.

Homicide investigators looking for info for Surrey teen's body found last week

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice
Calgary's outdoor water restrictions will remain in place for now. The city has been cautiously testing the water system in recent days, and says there were issues at both water treatment plants, including pumps at water intakes.

Calgary's restrictions on sprinkler and water hose use to remain until further notice