Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

First Nations group presses Ottawa to come back to the table for child welfare talks

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jan, 2025 05:00 PM
  • First Nations group presses Ottawa to come back to the table for child welfare talks

The First Nations Child and Family Caring Society is calling on the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal to force the federal government back to the negotiation table on national reforms to the child welfare system after chiefs voted down proposed changes on two occasions last year.

The national chief of the Assembly of First Nations is asking for an update from the Caring Society months after chiefs put it and a newly formed committee in charge of seeking new negotiations with Canada, and after Canada informed the assembly it was only prepared to renegotiate with First Nations in Ontario.

“The AFN remains quite concerned with recent developments, particularly if any of the financial commitments under the agreement-in-principle or the draft final agreement will continue to be secured for First Nations children and families moving forward,” National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak said in a letter to First Nations Child and Family Caring Society director Cindy Blackstock on Tuesday.

“In light of these uncertainties, compounded by the current state of government and likely election in the short-term, I would certainly appreciate any clarity you can provide in relation to efforts to end the discrimination to which our children have been subjected to for so long.”

The Caring Society filed a motion with the tribunal Tuesday calling for an order directing the federal government to negotiate child welfare reforms with both the society and the Assembly of First Nations, and ensuring the society has a seat at the table for coming consultations between the AFN and Ottawa on First Nations child welfare reform in Ontario.

Those consultations were announced on Jan. 7 — one day after the federal government told the AFN in a confidential letter it could not renegotiate a $47.8 billion child welfare reform agreement on a national level.

That $47.8 billion deal was struck between Canada, the Chiefs of Ontario, Nishnawbe Aski Nation and the Assembly of First Nations in July after a nearly two-decades-long legal fight over the federal government’s underfunding of on-reserve child welfare services.

The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal said that underfunding was discriminatory because it meant kids living on reserve were given fewer services than those living off reserve.

The tribunal told the federal government to negotiate an agreement with First Nations to reform the system, and to compensate children who were torn from their families and put in foster care.

The $47.8 billion agreement was to cover 10 years of funding to allow First Nations to take control of their child welfare services from the federal government, create a body to deal with complaints and set aside money for prevention, among other things.

Blackstock, who helped launched the initial human rights complaint, had been consulting with First Nations leaders for months before the deal was struck down. So were Woodhouse Nepinak and the Assembly of First Nations.

Blackstock argued the deal didn't go far enough in reforming child welfare systems and repeatedly said chiefs could get a better deal if they returned to negotiations. Woodhouse Nepinak called it the best offer on the table to reform a colonial system and expressed disappointment when it was struck down.

Chiefs outside of Ontario rejected the proposed deal in October, voting instead to change their legal and negotiation teams and calling for Canada to seek a new negotiation mandate.

But with Ottawa telling the Assembly of First Nations last week it's only prepared to renegotiate with First Nations in Ontario - which were largely in favour of the initial agreement - other regions are left wondering what will happen with reforms in their communities.

Blackstock said Canada's decision to negotiate solely with Ontario isn't acceptable when it has a legal responsibility to every First Nation child in the country.

"That's not good faith in negotiations," she said Wednesday.

"(Indigenous Services Minister Patty Hajdu) has an obligation to all First Nations children across this country to end the discrimination, and she has no answer for what's going to happen to the other kids. That's not good enough."

In a statement Wednesday, a spokesperson for Hajdu said the government made "every effort" to reach a fair deal and it makes sense to negotiate with Ontario and finish the work they started.

In her letter, Woodhouse Nepinak appears to be calling on Blackstock to show results.

The national chief says in the letter that Blackstock is in charge of overseeing the new child welfare negotiation team but hasn't offered any updates on efforts to negotiate with an unwilling federal government.

Woodhouse Nepinak said she wants to know how negotiators intend to secure the level of funding that was in the previous deal, include off-reserve children and the Yukon in reforms and maintain some aspects of the previous deal that were not mandated by the tribunal's orders.

Blackstock said she hasn't responded to the national chief's letter yet. She said it's the job of organizations like hers to point out the strengths and weaknesses of any approach to end discrimination, while it's up to chiefs to make their own decisions.

"We presented our point of view and the First Nations did due diligence and made the choice they made," she said.

"The way forward is getting Canada back through a tribunal order to negotiate in good faith, and to work on an evidence-based approach that has been costed out by public finance experts."

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD investigate homicide of Chirag Antil

VPD investigate homicide of Chirag Antil
Vancouver police say they're investigating a suspected overnight homicide in the city's south end.  Police say they were called to a report of gun shots around 11 p.m. Friday at the intersection of East 55th Avenue and Main Street.  They say officers found the body of 24-year-old Chirag Antil in a vehicle. 

VPD investigate homicide of Chirag Antil

DNA tests shows B.C. woman was killed by dogs, not bear: coroner's report

DNA tests shows B.C. woman was killed by dogs, not bear: coroner's report
A woman killed while picking blueberries on a farm east of Vancouver was initially thought to have died in a bear attack in August 2021, but a newly released coroner's report says she was mauled by dogs from another property. The report says the dogs responsible for the death of 54-year-old Ping (Amy) Guo at a Pitt Meadows farm were only identified after their DNA was tested when another person died 17 months later at the neighbouring home.

DNA tests shows B.C. woman was killed by dogs, not bear: coroner's report

'Very smart' B.C. orca calf evades rescuers, forcing switch in tactics

'Very smart' B.C. orca calf evades rescuers, forcing switch in tactics
The team trying to rescue an orphaned killer whale trapped in a British Columbia lagoon says they will have to change tactics after being "truly humbled at the intelligence, adaptability and resilience" of the calf that managed to evade capture Friday. A statement issued by the Ehattesaht First Nation chief and council and the rescue team said they made the decision to stand down after the young orca "simply decided she was not ready to be moved."   

'Very smart' B.C. orca calf evades rescuers, forcing switch in tactics

Darpan Vaisakhi Special 2024

Darpan Vaisakhi Special 2024
Darpan's special Vaisakhi issue is out now. Read more about the month of Vaisakhi, find great recipes, explore activities for kids. The Darpan Magazine team was at the Vancouver Vaisakhi parade that took place on Saturday, April 13th, 2024. The parade started at the Ross Street Sikh Temple and proceeded along Main Street, and drew thousands of people from diverse backgrounds.

Darpan Vaisakhi Special 2024

RCMP in B.C. warn of fake Taylor Swift concert tickets being sold online

RCMP in B.C. warn of fake Taylor Swift concert tickets being sold online
Police on Vancouver Island are warning Swifties about an online scam after several people lost money while trying to secure tickets for Taylor Swift concerts through Facebook groups. West Shore RCMP, based in the Victoria suburb of Langford, say they received at least four complaints involving fraud taking place on Facebook Marketplace and other community groups. 

RCMP in B.C. warn of fake Taylor Swift concert tickets being sold online

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan
International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen is announcing $132 million in aid for people fleeing Sudan's yearlong civil war. The funding includes $100 million in humanitarian aid for Sudanese who have fled to neighbouring countries as well as those stuck in Sudan amid widescale violence.

Ottawa to provide $132 million to help people fleeing civil war in Sudan