Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fiscal and monetary policy rowing in opposite directions, Macklem says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Oct, 2023 03:39 PM
  • Fiscal and monetary policy rowing in opposite directions, Macklem says

Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem says fiscal and monetary policy are rowing in opposite directions, making it harder to bring inflation down. 

Macklem is appearing before MPs on the House of Commons finance committee after the Bank of Canada's recent rate decision and quarterly economic projections. 

In response to questioning from Conservative MP Jasraj Singh Hallan, the governor says government spending is working at cross purposes with the central bank's efforts to bring inflation down.

The governor says that according to federal and provincial budgets, government spending aggregate will grow faster than supply in the economy over the next year, adding upward pressure to inflation. 

"It would be helpful if monetary and fiscal policy was rowing in the same direction," Macklem said. 

At the same time, the governor said it's important to compare Canada's fiscal stance to other countries. 

"You have to compare Canada to other countries. Canada's deficit-to-GDP ratio is the lowest in the G7," Macklem said. 

The initial run-up in prices during 2022 was largely attributed to global circumstances, including supply chain disruptions and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Government spending, however, has also been scrutinized as the central bank has pointed to domestic inflationary pressures as well. 

Since March 2022, the Bank of Canada has rapidly hiked rates to clamp down on spending and bring down inflation. 

As the economy bends under the weight of higher borrowing costs, the Bank of Canada opted to maintain its key interest rate at five per cent last week, but left the door open to more rate hikes if inflation remains high. 

The Bank of Canada is expecting the country's annual inflation rate, which came in at 3.8 per cent in September, to return to two per cent in 2025. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada confirms 1,251 monkeypox cases

Canada confirms 1,251 monkeypox cases
The health agency on Wednesday said that of the confirmed cases, 582 cases are from Ontario, 493 from Quebec, 137 from British Columbia, 31 from Alberta, 3 from Saskatchewan, 2 from the Yukon and 1 each from Nova Scotia, Manitoba and New Brunswick.

Canada confirms 1,251 monkeypox cases

International student rules need reset: RBC paper

International student rules need reset: RBC paper
According to a separate RBC Economics report, businesses posted almost 70 per cent more job openings in Canada as of June 2022, compared to pre-pandemic. But these firms were competing for 13 per cent fewer unemployed workers than were available in February 2020.

International student rules need reset: RBC paper

Health Canada approves Omicron shot

Health Canada approves Omicron shot
The new shots approved by Health Canada, called bivalent vaccines, are designed to recognize specific mutations in the spike protein of the Omicron BA.1 subvariant. Shipments of the vaccine are expected to arrive in the next few days, and there will be enough supply for all Canadians 18 and older to get a dose this fall and winter, officials said.

Health Canada approves Omicron shot

One man dies in Newtown after an altercation takes place, area blocked off

One man dies in Newtown after an altercation takes place, area blocked off
On Wednesday, at 1:50 p.m., Surrey RCMP responded to 14100-block of 61 Avenue after a report of an altercation between two men. Upon arrival police found an adult male in medical distress. Despite all attempts by first responders to save the man’s life, he succumbed to his injuries on scene.  

One man dies in Newtown after an altercation takes place, area blocked off

Suspicious incident being investigated in New Westminster

Suspicious incident being investigated in New Westminster
The passenger is described as a South Asian male, 6’0’ tall, medium build, approximately 35 to 40 years old, with a trimmed beard, and wearing a black jacket. There was no description provided for the driver.

Suspicious incident being investigated in New Westminster

Chilliwack RCMP need the public's help in identifying three children involved in suspicious occurrence at Portage Park

Chilliwack RCMP need the public's help in identifying three children involved in suspicious occurrence at Portage Park
The boys are described as approximately eight to ten years old. It is possible that they had a skateboard and a scooter and departed toward Menzies Street. The girl is approximately eight years old. the man involved in Friday’s incident at Portage Park is not believed to be related to a previous report of suspicious activity on Cedar Creek Drive.

Chilliwack RCMP need the public's help in identifying three children involved in suspicious occurrence at Portage Park