Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fiscal and monetary policy rowing in opposite directions, Macklem says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 30 Oct, 2023 03:39 PM
  • Fiscal and monetary policy rowing in opposite directions, Macklem says

Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem says fiscal and monetary policy are rowing in opposite directions, making it harder to bring inflation down. 

Macklem is appearing before MPs on the House of Commons finance committee after the Bank of Canada's recent rate decision and quarterly economic projections. 

In response to questioning from Conservative MP Jasraj Singh Hallan, the governor says government spending is working at cross purposes with the central bank's efforts to bring inflation down.

The governor says that according to federal and provincial budgets, government spending aggregate will grow faster than supply in the economy over the next year, adding upward pressure to inflation. 

"It would be helpful if monetary and fiscal policy was rowing in the same direction," Macklem said. 

At the same time, the governor said it's important to compare Canada's fiscal stance to other countries. 

"You have to compare Canada to other countries. Canada's deficit-to-GDP ratio is the lowest in the G7," Macklem said. 

The initial run-up in prices during 2022 was largely attributed to global circumstances, including supply chain disruptions and the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Government spending, however, has also been scrutinized as the central bank has pointed to domestic inflationary pressures as well. 

Since March 2022, the Bank of Canada has rapidly hiked rates to clamp down on spending and bring down inflation. 

As the economy bends under the weight of higher borrowing costs, the Bank of Canada opted to maintain its key interest rate at five per cent last week, but left the door open to more rate hikes if inflation remains high. 

The Bank of Canada is expecting the country's annual inflation rate, which came in at 3.8 per cent in September, to return to two per cent in 2025. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan
The guidelines released Thursday encourage pupils and others to get vaccinated and to stay home when they are sick, while masking remains optional and is described as being a "personal or family choice."  

Dr. Bonnie Henry defends B.C.'s COVID-19 school plan

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday
RCMP Const. Mike Della-Paolera says police responded to a report that the boy was unconscious and not breathing and arrived at a home as a family member was performing CPR on the child on the hood of his vehicle. Della-Paolera says police were told the child had ingested an unknown substance.

Baby B.C. boy survives overdose on first birthday

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide
John Frederick Field, 60, received statutory release from Kent Institution on Thursday, but left his Vancouver halfway house around 7:30 p.m. and has not been seen or heard from since.His current whereabouts are unknown, and he is considered a significant risk to the public.

Vancouver Police search for high-risk offender wanted Canada-wide

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby
Charges have been approved against a 59-year-old man in relation to an Indecent Act that occurred on Lougheed Highway in North Burnaby earlier this year. Burnaby RCMP’s High Risk Offender Unit took conduct of the investigation with assistance from other plainclothes units within the detachment.

Charges approved following Indecent Act in Burnaby

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.
The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting. Officers attended the scene and located two men associated to a taxi suffering from gun shot wounds.  

IHIT has released a sketch of the suspect in Guildford shooting.

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court
In a statement today, Richard Wagner says Michelle O'Bonsawin has proven herself to be principled, authentic and hard-working throughout her career as a lawyer and judge. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau nominated O'Bonsawin earlier this month and on Friday confirmed her appointment to the top court effective Sept. 1.

Chief justice welcomes O'Bonsawin to Supreme Court