Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Five Things About What Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun Was Running From In Saudi Arabia

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2019 11:01 PM

    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday that Canada would accept 18-year-old Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun as a refugee after she fled Saudi Arabia for Thailand and launched a Twitter campaign to win her freedom from a barricaded airport hotel room.


    Alqunun said she feared for her life if she were forced to return to Saudi Arabia. Her father and brother travelled to Bangkok to retrieve her.


    Alqunun's ordeal helped shine a light on the plight of women in Saudi Arabia, including its controversial "guardianship" laws, which subject women to the control of men.
    Here are five things about what Alqunun was running from:


    1. Male stamp required

    It can be a father, husband, brother or even a son, but under Saudi law, women need a male guardian's approval to conduct a variety of tasks to function. This includes applying for a passport, travelling outside the country, studying abroad, getting married or even getting out of prison. "This is a systematic discrimination and abuse of women's rights. It is something that doesn't really belong in these modern times," said Phil Robertson, the deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Asia division.


    2. Running can get you killed

    Like Alqunun, some Saudi women have tried to flee, but for many the result has been tragic. In one high-profile case, Dina Ali Lasloom was stopped while trying to flee Saudi Arabia in 2017. She was forced to return and according to activists, she was never heard from again. Robertson said that with the arrival of Alqunun's father and brother in Bangkok this week, there were fears of a repeat "and that the Saudi Embassy could exercise influence or resources to cause problems."


    3. Reforms are slow

    Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman made international headlines last year when he lifted a ban on women driving. King Salman also issued a decree that required all branches of government to stop requesting that a male guardian's authorization be required to receive government services. It called on them to review their regulations and prepare a list of things that would require a man's permission. While Amnesty International noted that the decree might improve women's lives, it hadn't been implemented by the end of the year.


    4. Fighting from the inside can be futile


    Five prominent female activists who have campaigned against guardianship wound up in Saudi prisons last year. Loujain al-Hathloul, Iman al-Nafjan and Aziza al-Yousef were arrested in a first sweep. That was followed by the arrest of Nassima al-Sada and Samar Badawi. She is the sister of Raif Badawi, a Saudi blogger whose wife lives in Quebec. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes from a whip for writing a blog post deemed offensive to Saudi leadership.


    5. Female foreign criticism not welcome


    In August, Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland took to Twitter to say she was "very alarmed" to learn of Samar Badawi's imprisonment, noting she was Raif's sister. "Canada stands together with the Badawi family in this difficult time, and we continue to strongly call for the release of both Raif and Samar Badawi." Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman responded by expelling Canada's ambassador and withdrawing his own envoy. The Saudis also sold Canadian investments and recalled their students from universities in Canada, including an unknown number of women.


    Sources: Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, the Associated Press

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Warrant Issued For Surrey Man Charged With Murder Of Nicholas Khabra

    Warrant Issued For Surrey Man Charged With Murder Of Nicholas Khabra
    IHIT is seeking public assistance to locate 27-yr-old Brandon Nathan Teixeira for 1st degree murder in the shooting death of Nicholas Khabra on Oct23 2017 in Surrey. Teixeira is believed to be extremely violent.

    Warrant Issued For Surrey Man Charged With Murder Of Nicholas Khabra

    India Seeks Non-Discriminatory Approach To H-1B Visa Regime

    India Seeks Non-Discriminatory Approach To H-1B Visa Regime
    India on Thursday called upon the US to ensure a non-discriminatory and predictable approach to issuance of H-1B visas, largely availed of by Indian IT firms.

    India Seeks Non-Discriminatory Approach To H-1B Visa Regime

    B.C. Getting $71.1M To Increase Access To Treatment For Substance Abuse

    B.C. Getting $71.1M To Increase Access To Treatment For Substance Abuse
    TORONTO — The province hardest hit by what health officials consider a national opioid crisis is receiving tens of millions of dollars to increase access to treatment for substance abuse.

    B.C. Getting $71.1M To Increase Access To Treatment For Substance Abuse

    Bear Roaming Downtown Ottawa Neighbourhood Has Been Tranquilized: Police

    Bear Roaming Downtown Ottawa Neighbourhood Has Been Tranquilized: Police
    Ottawa police says a bear that roamed one of downtown Ottawa's busiest neighbourhoods on Thursday morning is on its way out of the city.

    Bear Roaming Downtown Ottawa Neighbourhood Has Been Tranquilized: Police

    Woman Held Captive, Tortured And Forced To Work As Escort: Winnipeg Police

    Woman Held Captive, Tortured And Forced To Work As Escort: Winnipeg Police
    Winnipeg police have arrested a man after they say a woman was imprisoned, tortured and forced to work as an escort.

    Woman Held Captive, Tortured And Forced To Work As Escort: Winnipeg Police

    First Nations Ban Limited-Entry Moose Hunt, Saying Situation Is ‘Dire'

    Two First Nations governments in the B.C. Interior are joining together to ban all limited-entry hunting for moose in their respective territories, while accusing the province of not taking effective action to protect the animals.

    First Nations Ban Limited-Entry Moose Hunt, Saying Situation Is ‘Dire'