Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Five Things About What Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun Was Running From In Saudi Arabia

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Jan, 2019 11:01 PM

    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday that Canada would accept 18-year-old Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun as a refugee after she fled Saudi Arabia for Thailand and launched a Twitter campaign to win her freedom from a barricaded airport hotel room.


    Alqunun said she feared for her life if she were forced to return to Saudi Arabia. Her father and brother travelled to Bangkok to retrieve her.


    Alqunun's ordeal helped shine a light on the plight of women in Saudi Arabia, including its controversial "guardianship" laws, which subject women to the control of men.
    Here are five things about what Alqunun was running from:


    1. Male stamp required

    It can be a father, husband, brother or even a son, but under Saudi law, women need a male guardian's approval to conduct a variety of tasks to function. This includes applying for a passport, travelling outside the country, studying abroad, getting married or even getting out of prison. "This is a systematic discrimination and abuse of women's rights. It is something that doesn't really belong in these modern times," said Phil Robertson, the deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Asia division.


    2. Running can get you killed

    Like Alqunun, some Saudi women have tried to flee, but for many the result has been tragic. In one high-profile case, Dina Ali Lasloom was stopped while trying to flee Saudi Arabia in 2017. She was forced to return and according to activists, she was never heard from again. Robertson said that with the arrival of Alqunun's father and brother in Bangkok this week, there were fears of a repeat "and that the Saudi Embassy could exercise influence or resources to cause problems."


    3. Reforms are slow

    Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman made international headlines last year when he lifted a ban on women driving. King Salman also issued a decree that required all branches of government to stop requesting that a male guardian's authorization be required to receive government services. It called on them to review their regulations and prepare a list of things that would require a man's permission. While Amnesty International noted that the decree might improve women's lives, it hadn't been implemented by the end of the year.


    4. Fighting from the inside can be futile


    Five prominent female activists who have campaigned against guardianship wound up in Saudi prisons last year. Loujain al-Hathloul, Iman al-Nafjan and Aziza al-Yousef were arrested in a first sweep. That was followed by the arrest of Nassima al-Sada and Samar Badawi. She is the sister of Raif Badawi, a Saudi blogger whose wife lives in Quebec. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison and 1,000 lashes from a whip for writing a blog post deemed offensive to Saudi leadership.


    5. Female foreign criticism not welcome


    In August, Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland took to Twitter to say she was "very alarmed" to learn of Samar Badawi's imprisonment, noting she was Raif's sister. "Canada stands together with the Badawi family in this difficult time, and we continue to strongly call for the release of both Raif and Samar Badawi." Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman responded by expelling Canada's ambassador and withdrawing his own envoy. The Saudis also sold Canadian investments and recalled their students from universities in Canada, including an unknown number of women.


    Sources: Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International, the Associated Press

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Delta Police Say 7 Men, Including Red Scorpion Members, Accused In Drug Ring

    Delta Police Say 7 Men, Including Red Scorpion Members, Accused In Drug Ring
     Police say 94 charges have been laid, many against suspected gang members, after police smashed a ring that supplied drugs in south Delta and Vancouver.

    Delta Police Say 7 Men, Including Red Scorpion Members, Accused In Drug Ring

    Hedley Frontman Jacob Hoggard Has Sex Offences Case Put Over To September

    Hedley Frontman Jacob Hoggard Has Sex Offences Case Put Over To September
    TORONTO — The case of Hedley frontman Jacob Hoggard, who faces three sex-related charges, was put over to September after a brief hearing in Toronto on Wednesday.

    Hedley Frontman Jacob Hoggard Has Sex Offences Case Put Over To September

    Toronto Police Warn Of Dangerous Narcotics After 7 Fatal Overdoses Since Aug. 2

    Toronto Police Warn Of Dangerous Narcotics After 7 Fatal Overdoses Since Aug. 2
    Toronto police are warning about a batch of dangerous narcotics being sold downtown after seven overdose deaths in the city since Aug. 2.

    Toronto Police Warn Of Dangerous Narcotics After 7 Fatal Overdoses Since Aug. 2

    Woman Has Finger Ripped Off At West Edmonton Mall Waterslide

    Woman Has Finger Ripped Off At West Edmonton Mall Waterslide
    SASKATOON — A Saskatchewan woman says she lost a finger after her ring got caught on a waterslide at one of the largest malls in North America.

    Woman Has Finger Ripped Off At West Edmonton Mall Waterslide

    Smoke Gets In Their Eyes; Alberta, Prairies, Feel The Effects Of B.C.'s Fires

    Smoke Gets In Their Eyes; Alberta, Prairies, Feel The Effects Of B.C.'s Fires
    EDMONTON — Day has turned to night in Edmonton and many parts of Alberta as smoke from forest fires in British Columbia continues to roll into the province.

    Smoke Gets In Their Eyes; Alberta, Prairies, Feel The Effects Of B.C.'s Fires

    Crown Appealing Sentence For Winnipeg Man Ronald Siwicki Who Left Mother To Die On The Floor

    Crown Appealing Sentence For Winnipeg Man Ronald Siwicki Who Left Mother To Die On The Floor
    WINNIPEG — Crown prosecutors are appealing the sentence of a man who left his 89-year-old mother on the floor of their home for several weeks until she died.

    Crown Appealing Sentence For Winnipeg Man Ronald Siwicki Who Left Mother To Die On The Floor