Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Flight To Cuba Forced Back To Montreal Due To 'Unruly' Passenger

The Canadian Press, 07 Jul, 2017 01:00 PM
    MONTREAL — A Sunwing Airlines flight bound for Cuba had to return to Montreal's Trudeau International Airport on Thursday evening under a fighter jet escort due to an "unruly customer."
     
     
    An airline spokeswoman said flight WG604 had departed for Cayo Coco but turned around due to the passenger making "non-specific threats."
     
     
    "The flight arrived back around 7:25 p.m. and the disruptive customer was taken into police custody," said Rachel Goldrick in an email to The Canadian Press.
     
     
    Montreal police said a 39-year-old man was arrested and could face charges of breach of conditions, uttering death threats, assault and endangering the safety of an aircraft.
     
     
    He is expected to appear in court Friday morning.
     
     
    NORAD spokesman Lt. Commander Joe Nawrocki said a pair of U.S. Air Force F-15 jets were dispatched from Barnes Air National Guard Base in Massachusetts and intercepted the aircraft near Albany, N.Y.
     
     
    Canadian CF-18s were also reportedly scrambled but did not take part in the operation.
     
     
    "Sunwing has provided affected customers with accommodations and meal vouchers and is very apologetic for the inconvenience," Goldrick said.
     
     
    This was the second such incident involving a North American flight on Thursday night.
     
     
    Officials say a Delta Airlines flight bound for Beijing returned to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport after a passenger assaulted a flight attendant.
     
     
    Airport spokesman Perry Cooper says a man in first class assaulted a flight attendant about 45 minutes into the flight and that passengers then helped restrain the man until the plane landed back in Seattle.
     
     
    Officials say two people, including the flight attendant, were injured and taken to a hospital.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    PIC: New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant Announces Engagement On Twitter

    PIC: New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant Announces Engagement On Twitter
    Gallant, who is in his mid-30s, posted the news Monday in both official languages on his Twitter feed, and his office later confirmed it.

    PIC: New Brunswick Premier Brian Gallant Announces Engagement On Twitter

    Liberals Nearing Decision On How To Spend $800M Earmarked For Innovation

    The government earmarked the cash in last year's budget to support "innovation networks and clusters" as part of federal plans to help budding companies scale up significantly.

    Liberals Nearing Decision On How To Spend $800M Earmarked For Innovation

    Garage Owner Gets Chance To Fight Liability For Teen Hurt In Stolen Car Crash

    Garage Owner Gets Chance To Fight Liability For Teen Hurt In Stolen Car Crash
    TORONTO — A garage owner will get a chance to argue before the Supreme Court of Canada that he should not be held responsible for the terrible injuries a teen suffered when he and a friend stole a car from the lot and crashed it.

    Garage Owner Gets Chance To Fight Liability For Teen Hurt In Stolen Car Crash

    Ex-Gitmo Detainee Omar Khadr Recovering From 19-Hour Shoulder Surgery

    TORONTO — Former Guantanamo Bay inmate Omar Khadr is recovering from a 19-hour operation on a shoulder that was badly injured in Afghanistan 15 years ago, his lawyer said Monday.

    Ex-Gitmo Detainee Omar Khadr Recovering From 19-Hour Shoulder Surgery

    Foreign Buyer Tax Alone Won't Fix Toronto Housing Crisis: Report

    Foreign Buyer Tax Alone Won't Fix Toronto Housing Crisis: Report
    "The surtax essentially gets wiped out if you're earning money locally and paying taxes locally or in Canada," said report author Josh Gordon, an assistant professor at Simon Fraser University.

    Foreign Buyer Tax Alone Won't Fix Toronto Housing Crisis: Report

    Snowmobilers Missing Near 100 Mile House, B.C., Found Safe

    South Cariboo Search and Rescue say teams were sent out to look for two young men Saturday night after they were reported missing when they didn't come home for dinner.

    Snowmobilers Missing Near 100 Mile House, B.C., Found Safe