Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Flight To Cuba Forced Back To Montreal Due To 'Unruly' Passenger

The Canadian Press, 07 Jul, 2017 01:00 PM
    MONTREAL — A Sunwing Airlines flight bound for Cuba had to return to Montreal's Trudeau International Airport on Thursday evening under a fighter jet escort due to an "unruly customer."
     
     
    An airline spokeswoman said flight WG604 had departed for Cayo Coco but turned around due to the passenger making "non-specific threats."
     
     
    "The flight arrived back around 7:25 p.m. and the disruptive customer was taken into police custody," said Rachel Goldrick in an email to The Canadian Press.
     
     
    Montreal police said a 39-year-old man was arrested and could face charges of breach of conditions, uttering death threats, assault and endangering the safety of an aircraft.
     
     
    He is expected to appear in court Friday morning.
     
     
    NORAD spokesman Lt. Commander Joe Nawrocki said a pair of U.S. Air Force F-15 jets were dispatched from Barnes Air National Guard Base in Massachusetts and intercepted the aircraft near Albany, N.Y.
     
     
    Canadian CF-18s were also reportedly scrambled but did not take part in the operation.
     
     
    "Sunwing has provided affected customers with accommodations and meal vouchers and is very apologetic for the inconvenience," Goldrick said.
     
     
    This was the second such incident involving a North American flight on Thursday night.
     
     
    Officials say a Delta Airlines flight bound for Beijing returned to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport after a passenger assaulted a flight attendant.
     
     
    Airport spokesman Perry Cooper says a man in first class assaulted a flight attendant about 45 minutes into the flight and that passengers then helped restrain the man until the plane landed back in Seattle.
     
     
    Officials say two people, including the flight attendant, were injured and taken to a hospital.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Road-Raged Audi Driver Pleads Guilty After Video Shows Him Mowing Down Man

    Road-Raged Audi Driver Pleads Guilty After Video Shows Him Mowing Down Man
    SAINT JOHN, N.B. — A New Brunswick senior has pleaded guilty to running down a man after he was captured on video racing through a parking lot and striking a pedestrian, sending him flying through the air.

    Road-Raged Audi Driver Pleads Guilty After Video Shows Him Mowing Down Man

    Police To Seek Murder Charge In Death Of Baby Delivered After Mother Shot Dead

    Police To Seek Murder Charge In Death Of Baby Delivered After Mother Shot Dead
    Toronto police say any suspect charged in the fatal shooting of a 33-year-old pregnant woman last year will also be charged in the death of her baby, who was delivered prematurely.

    Police To Seek Murder Charge In Death Of Baby Delivered After Mother Shot Dead

    Ontario Group Home Resident Faces Murder Charges In Fire That Killed 2

    Ontario Group Home Resident Faces Murder Charges In Fire That Killed 2
    KAWARTHA LAKES, Ont. — Ontario Provincial Police say a second person has died following a fire late last week at an group home near the village of Oakwood, northeast of Toronto in Kawartha Lakes.

    Ontario Group Home Resident Faces Murder Charges In Fire That Killed 2

    John Furlong Warmly Received At Fundraiser After Initially Being Uninvited

    VANCOUVER — Former Vancouver Olympics CEO John Furlong received a standing ovation at a University of British Columbia fundraiser Tuesday while a handful of protesters gathered outside to draw attention to abuse allegations against him.

    John Furlong Warmly Received At Fundraiser After Initially Being Uninvited

    Prince Edward Island Reports 10 Cases Of Whooping Cough In The Province

    Dr. Heather Morrison, the Island's chief public health officer, says there are currently 10 cases in the province.

    Prince Edward Island Reports 10 Cases Of Whooping Cough In The Province

    Too Much 'Shaming' At Pride Event, Says Politician Who Will Not Attend

    WINNIPEG — Manitoba's health minister says he will not attend a Pride Parade in his constituency because there is too much shaming of people who don't participate.

    Too Much 'Shaming' At Pride Event, Says Politician Who Will Not Attend