Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford praises federal border plan ahead of meeting with prime minister, premiers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 14 Jan, 2025 04:35 PM
  • Ford praises federal border plan ahead of meeting with prime minister, premiers

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Tuesday he's now convinced the federal government has a "phenomenal" plan to secure the Canada-U. S. border in response to Donald Trump's tariff threat — although he didn't offer up any details of that plan.

Trump has threatened to impose a 25 per cent tariff on all imports from Canada. The U.S. president-elect initially said that the tariff would be in response to what he called Canada's inaction on drugs and migrants crossing the shared border.

Speaking to reporters after a meeting with Finance and Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc in Toronto on Tuesday, Ford was full of praise for LeBlanc and for the "solid, solid plan." He urged federal Public Safety Minister David McGuinty to "get out there and put the plan in front of the Canadian people."

LeBlanc, who previously announced a $1.3-billion, six-year plan to secure the border, said he told Ford the money will allow the RCMP and the Canada Border Services Agency to use long-range drones and surveillance towers, create a joint air command, hire more officers and deploy 80 canine units to search for fentanyl. He did not unveil any new measures, timelines or specific costs.

LeBlanc said he also presented those measures to key members of the Trump team when they met in Florida — although that has not convinced Trump to back down.

Premier Ford began the day by slamming the Liberal government on the border file.

"I'm going to be blunt: they need to get their act together. Simple as that," Ford said on Tuesday morning.

Ford said Ontario officials have estimated the proposed tariffs on Canadian goods could cost his province up to half a million jobs.

"This is serious," he said. "It's unprecedented."

LeBlanc said the federal government has done its own modelling on the national impact of the tariffs but would not share those figures.

"We're not going to speculate on what exactly are different scenarios. Next week, we think we'll know the precise details of what these tariffs will mean to the Canadian economy, and we'll be ready, of course, to respond from a position of strength and, we hope, as a unified country," he said.

LeBlanc said unity will be the message when he and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau meet with the country's premiers on Wednesday.

The federal cabinet is also set to gather for a two-day retreat starting Jan. 20, which is inauguration day and the day Trump said his tariffs will begin. 

In a social media post on Tuesday, Trump pledged to create an "external revenue service" to start collecting "tariffs, duties and all revenue that come from foreign sources."

"We will begin charging those that make money off of us with Trade, and they will start paying, FINALLY, their fair share. January 20, 2025, will be the birth date of the External Revenue Service. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!" Trump said in the post.

It's not clear how such a department would work. The U.S. Secretary of the Treasury establishes regulations and Customs and Border Protection collects applicable tariffs at U.S. ports of entry. The creation of such a department likely would require approval from Congress.

LeBlanc said he and Ford discussed the possibility of heading to Washington next week or visiting the border, once it's clear what the Trump administration plans to do.

He stressed the need for premiers and the federal government to make a common case for defending Canada's economy.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith, who recently visited with Trump in Florida, has cautioned the federal government against blocking energy exports to the U.S. in response to tariffs, while Ford has said all options should be on the table.

Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne, speaking at an event in Toronto on Tuesday, said Canada needs to organize itself to export its oil, gas and critical minerals to other markets.

"By the way, we have other markets, because energy is economic security and economic security in this world is national security," he said.

He also said the "Team Canada" approach has not been as successful this time as it was during the first Trump administration, adding he has tried to encourage a multi-partisan approach.

Former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper said he has "a real problem" with the things Trump has been saying.

In an interview with an American podcaster released on Monday, Harper swatted down Trump's claim that the U.S. is subsidizing Canada, attributing the "modest trade surplus" to the fact that the U.S. buys so much Canadian oil and gas at a discount to world markets.

"It’s actually Canada that subsidizes the United States in this regard," he said.

Harper said the shared defence of North America through Norad is also not a subsidy. "The United States does that because it’s in the vital interest of the United States," he said. "Do you want Canada to be a neutral country?"

He also said there's no major flow of migrants into the U.S. from Canada, while calling the Biden administration's policy on the southern border "disgraceful."

"I’m gonna tell you right now: drugs, guns, crime — most of those things flow north, not south," Harper said.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says incoming U.S. president Donald Trump's threats on tariffs should be taken seriously. President-elect Trump threatened on social media this week to impose a 25-per-cent import tariff on goods coming from Canada and Mexico over concerns about border enforcement.

Trudeau says no question incoming U.S. president Trump is serious on tariff threat

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery
Canada's top court has affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing British Columbia to pursue a class-action lawsuit against opioid providers on behalf of other provinces, the territories and the federal government. The Supreme Court of Canada's 6-1 decision Friday is another step toward a potential cross-country action by governments that paid to treat patients who took the addictive drugs. 

Supreme Court affirms constitutionality of B.C. law on opioid health costs recovery

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention
As Australia moves to ban social media for children under 16, Quebec is debating whether to follow suit. The provincial government decided last spring to study the possibility of setting a minimum age for social media accounts, following a push from the youth wing of the governing Coalition Avenir Québec.

As Australia bans social media for children, Quebec is paying close attention

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI
A coalition of Canadian news publishers is suing OpenAI for using news content to train its ChatGPT generative artificial intelligence system. The coalition includes The Canadian Press, Torstar, Globe and Mail, Postmedia and CBC/Radio-Canada.

Canadian news publishers suing ChatGPT developer OpenAI

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway
BC Highway Patrol says the crash happened just before 11 a.m. on a stretch of Highway 1 in Chilliwack, where an eastbound dump truck saw two of its wheels come loose from one of its axles as it was driving. Police say one of the loose wheels then crossed the highway into the westbound lanes, where it hit the SUV head-on.

Loose wheel from truck crashes head-on into SUV on B.C. highway

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga
The Surrey Police Service took over from the RCMP and became the city's force of jurisdiction Friday, after a six-year saga set in motion by former mayor Doug McCallum. Along the way, there were court challenges, a change of municipal government and accusations of bullying, but McCallum says he has no regrets about the troubled transition for the community southeast of Vancouver.

Ex-mayor has no regrets as Surrey Police take over from RCMP after six-year saga