Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

White House says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

White House says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs
After another chaotic day in Canada-U.S. relations, U.S. President Donald Trump dropped his threat to double tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum imports after Ontario agreed to pause a surcharge on electricity exports. White House spokesman Kush Desai confirmed a 25 per cent tariff on steel and aluminum, with no exceptions, will go into effect for Canada and all other countries on Wednesday.

White House says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

B.C. takes advantage of U.S. 'chaos,' trade war to attract more doctors and nurses

B.C. takes advantage of U.S. 'chaos,' trade war to attract more doctors and nurses
The "chaos" in the United States provides an opportunity for British Columbia to recruit more American doctors and nurses, the province's health minister said as she announced changes aimed at fast-tracking the recognition of their credentials. Josie Osborne said "now is the time" for U.S. health workers to make the move.

B.C. takes advantage of U.S. 'chaos,' trade war to attract more doctors and nurses

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs
Premier Doug Ford says U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick has committed to lowering U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff on Canadian aluminum and steel back to 25 per cent after Ontario agreed to pause a surcharge on electricity exports to the United States.

Ford says Trump dropping plan to double steel, aluminum tariffs

Slower B.C. real estate sales blamed on U.S. tariff uncertainty, association says

Slower B.C. real estate sales blamed on U.S. tariff uncertainty, association says
The British Columbia Real Estate Association says tariff uncertainty has slowed housing activity.  A board report says there were 4,947 residential sales in the province last month, down 9.7 per cent from the same time last year. 

Slower B.C. real estate sales blamed on U.S. tariff uncertainty, association says

Explainer: What's a recession and why is rising anxiety about it roiling markets?

Explainer: What's a recession and why is rising anxiety about it roiling markets?
Stock markets are plunging, consumers and businesses have started to sour on the economy, and economists are marking down their estimates for growth this year, with some even seeing rising odds of a recession. The tech-heavy Nasdaq stock index slipped into a correction last week, defined as a 10% drop from its most recent peak. The broader S&P 500 neared that level Tuesday.

Explainer: What's a recession and why is rising anxiety about it roiling markets?

Poilievre wants to impose 50 per cent metal tariffs on U.S. after latest Trump threat

Poilievre wants to impose 50 per cent metal tariffs on U.S. after latest Trump threat
Trump says he will double the steel and aluminum tariffs he promised to deploy on Canadian products tomorrow — to 50 per cent — in response to Ontario's 25 per cent surcharge on electricity exports to the U.S. Trump originally vowed to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all steel and aluminum imports.

Poilievre wants to impose 50 per cent metal tariffs on U.S. after latest Trump threat