Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says engine failure less than a minute into a flight contributed to a deadly helicopter crash during a 2023 wildfire in northern Alberta. It says the helicopter's pilot had been tapped to help with firefighting efforts in the Peace River region and took off with an empty water bucket suspended from a 45-metre line.

Engine failure, bucket led to deadly helicopter crash during Alberta wildfire: TSB

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is rejecting NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh's call for the federal government to bar U.S. President Donald Trump from coming to Canada for the G7 summit this June. At an event in Montreal today, Trudeau said he sees the idea of banning Trump as an "irresponsible" approach to governance and dialogue with other nations.

Trudeau calls idea of banning Trump from Canada 'irresponsible'

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine
The federal government is moving closer to gaining full control over a massive Russian cargo plane parked in Toronto and hopes to use the proceeds to support Ukraine. In June 2023, the federal government officially seized an aircraft that had been sitting on the tarmac at Toronto's Pearson International Airport since February 2022.

Federal government moves closer to taking over Russian cargo plane for Ukraine

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader
A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader. Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program
The Canadian Dental Hygienists Association says its members are urging all federal parties to keep funding the national dental care program, arguing it's good for the economy. The association says access to oral health care and preventive care increases worker productivity and keeps people from taking sick days. 

Dental hygienists urge federal parties to keep funding dental care program

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he still intends to slap Canada with tariffs next week after a monthlong reprieve. But Canadians confused about Trump's plans aren't alone, with the U.S. president at times contradicting himself about his own tariff plans.

When are tariffs expected, and on what? Key dates in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute