Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Fire-ravaged Lytton getting 'community hub' with museum, pool, market space

Fire-ravaged Lytton getting 'community hub' with museum, pool, market space
The federal government is promising more than $25 million to help build a new "community hub" in the Village of Lytton years after much of the B.C. town was wiped out by fire. A statement from the Ministry of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities says the new building is expected to include a community-sized pool and fire reservoir, a museum, a market space, multi-purpose rooms and accessible washrooms.

Fire-ravaged Lytton getting 'community hub' with museum, pool, market space

Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage

Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage
Two of Pearson's five runways, including the "busiest" in Canada, remain closed, said the airport's duty manager Jake Keating. The airport had capped departures throughout the day and a similar step had been taken to manage arrivals. 

Investigation into plane crash at Pearson airport continues as crews handle wreckage

Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney plans 'small' deficits for capital projects

Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney plans 'small' deficits for capital projects
Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney is vowing to split the federal budget between capital and operating spending, and to balance the operating side while running small capital deficits. Carney made the comments at a press conference in Scarborough, Ont., where he also promised he would reduce the debt-to-GDP ratio over time.

Liberal leadership candidate Mark Carney plans 'small' deficits for capital projects

B.C. legislative assembly re-elects Raj Chouhan as its Speaker ahead of throne speech

B.C. legislative assembly re-elects Raj Chouhan as its Speaker ahead of throne speech
British Columbia's legislative session opens today amid what Premier David Eby describes as a time of "extraordinary change and uncertainty." Lt.-Gov. Wendy Cocchia is scheduled to deliver the speech from the throne this afternoon, laying out the B.C. government's plan as looming U.S. tariffs threaten the Canadian economy.

B.C. legislative assembly re-elects Raj Chouhan as its Speaker ahead of throne speech

Most of the injured in Pearson plane crash released from hospital as probe continues

Most of the injured in Pearson plane crash released from hospital as probe continues
Delta said in a social media post that 19 out of 21 passengers initially taken to Toronto-area hospitals have been released as the investigation continues. Delta flight 4819 from Minneapolis to Toronto, operated by subsidiary Endeavor Air, crashed on landing around 2:30 p.m. Monday. Flint said authorities will not speculate about a possible cause until a thorough investigation is complete. 

Most of the injured in Pearson plane crash released from hospital as probe continues

Seven male suspects sought in B.C. theft of more than $2,400 in fragrances

Seven male suspects sought in B.C. theft of more than $2,400 in fragrances
Police in Richmond are searching for seven suspects in an alleged retail theft of fragrances worth more than $2,400. RCMP say the theft took place on Nov. 11 of last year, when the seven men reportedly entered a store in the 3800 block of Steveston Highway.

Seven male suspects sought in B.C. theft of more than $2,400 in fragrances