Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says Canada will push back on U.S. tariffs with Trump administration

Trudeau says Canada will push back on U.S. tariffs with Trump administration
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Tuesday Ottawa will work to convince U.S. President Donald Trump that his "unacceptable" steel and aluminum tariffs will hurt both countries. A senior government official said that Trudeau spoke with U.S. Vice-President JD Vance about the impact steel tariffs would have in Ohio, which Vance previously represented in the U.S. Senate.

Trudeau says Canada will push back on U.S. tariffs with Trump administration

Canada's privacy czar launches investigation into student information data breach

Canada's privacy czar launches investigation into student information data breach
The federal privacy watchdog says he has launched a formal investigation into a cybersecurity breach involving a student information system used across Canada. Privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says the probe was launched after his office received a breach report from U.S.-based PowerSchool, which provides the affected software, and a complaint about the incident.

Canada's privacy czar launches investigation into student information data breach

Leger poll: Carney as leader would have Liberals tied with Conservatives

Leger poll: Carney as leader would have Liberals tied with Conservatives
A new poll suggests that if Mark Carney wins the Liberal leadership race, he would erase the massive lead the Conservatives have enjoyed for the past year and a half. A Leger survey suggests a Carney-led party would boost Liberal support by six points to 37 per cent, putting them in a dead heat with the Tories.

Leger poll: Carney as leader would have Liberals tied with Conservatives

B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge

B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge
A Vancouver Island school district says an elementary school teacher has been charged with accessing child pornography. Court records show the man faces a charge for an offence alleged to have been committed last March in Central Saanich, B.C.

B.C. elementary music teacher suspended after child pornography charge

Teens body recovered after fall through ice on B.C.'s Shuswap Lake

Teens body recovered after fall through ice on B.C.'s Shuswap Lake
The body of an 18-year-old man has been recovered from Shuswap Lake in British Columbia's Interior after he fell through the ice over the weekend. Police say in a statement that the RCMP's underwater recovery team found the teen's body on Monday.

Teens body recovered after fall through ice on B.C.'s Shuswap Lake

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs
British Columbia Premier David Eby says he believes the recent tariff friction with the United States will fundamentally change the way Canadians approach trade with their southern neighbours, and things "will never go back to the way that we were before."

David Eby joins Canadian premiers on trip to U.S. to speak to lawmakers about tariffs