Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Ukrainians worry as their three-year emergency visas are set to expire

Ukrainians worry as their three-year emergency visas are set to expire
Many of the 300,000 Ukrainians who have come to Canada on three-year emergency visas since 2022 face an uncertain future as their temporary resident permits come closer to expiring, the Ukrainian Canadian Congress warned Wednesday. Congress executive director Ihor Michalchyshyn said he met with Immigration Minister Marc Miller last week to ask his department to automatically renew the visas for another three years.

Ukrainians worry as their three-year emergency visas are set to expire

B.C. assembles 'war room' as U.S. tariff threat looms on Saturday

B.C. assembles 'war room' as U.S. tariff threat looms on Saturday
The relationship between the U.S. and Canada has "fundamentally changed," regardless of whether U.S. President Donald Trump's promised tariffs on Canadian goods materialize on Saturday, according to the chair of a new B.C. cabinet "war room" to tackle the threat. Ravi Kahlon, who is also British Columbia's housing minister, said the provincial government would work to diversify the province's economy and reduce its reliance on the United States.

B.C. assembles 'war room' as U.S. tariff threat looms on Saturday

Plane was in training spin when it crashed, killing instructor and student: report

Plane was in training spin when it crashed, killing instructor and student: report
A report says a plane was doing a training spin at a lower-than-recommended altitude when it went down in a lake near Edmonton, killing a flight instructor and a student pilot. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada says the plane was working properly and the weather was fine when it crashed in August 2023.

Plane was in training spin when it crashed, killing instructor and student: report

'Staggering' number of families struggle in B.C.'s system for disabled kids: advocate

'Staggering' number of families struggle in B.C.'s system for disabled kids: advocate
The latest report from Jennifer Charlesworth's office says up to 83,000 young people with disabilities are not receiving adequate services in the province, and while spending increased by 190 per cent in the 18 years her office has been in place, the majority of that went to salaries and a narrow set of programs.

'Staggering' number of families struggle in B.C.'s system for disabled kids: advocate

Specialist wait lists for B.C. patients grow to 1.2 million people: doctors groups

Specialist wait lists for B.C. patients grow to 1.2 million people: doctors groups
Doctors of BC and the Consultant Specialists of BC say they surveyed nearly 1,000 specialists and found that about 1.2 million patients are waiting too long to see a health expert in areas such as cardiology, neurology, orthopedic surgery, and urology.

Specialist wait lists for B.C. patients grow to 1.2 million people: doctors groups

Canada can strike back swiftly if U.S. imposes tariffs, experts say

Canada can strike back swiftly if U.S. imposes tariffs, experts say
Canadian international trade lawyers say that if the U.S. follows through on President Donald Trump's threat to impose massive tariffs on Canada as early as Saturday, Ottawa could hit back with retaliatory tariffs almost immediately. Typically, Canada gives advance notice of any plan to impose tariffs and takes about a month to consult with industry representatives on tariff targets.

Canada can strike back swiftly if U.S. imposes tariffs, experts say