Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Oct, 2025 09:24 AM
  • Ford says no 10% tariffs coming, claims Reagan ad 'most successful' ever

Ontario Premier Doug Ford says he doesn't believe U.S. President Donald Trump will follow through on his threat to hit Canada with an additional 10 per cent tariff over Ontario's anti-tariff ad campaign.

Speaking in the provincial legislature this morning, Ford said he's confident tariffs "aren't going to go up" and other premiers are on board with his approach.

Ford also claimed the campaign was the "most successful ad in the history of North America."

Trump said he suspended trade talks with Canada and plans to impose 10 per cent tariffs in retaliation for Ontario's ad, which ran in major U.S. television markets.

The ad features former U.S. president Ronald Reagan warning that tariffs lead to trade wars and damage economies in the long run.

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Ottawa and Washington were close to a deal on steel, aluminum and energy when Trump suddenly cut off trade talks.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

MORE National ARTICLES

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast
A winter storm warning remains in effect for part of B-C's North Coast. The bulletin from Environment Canada spans the Stewart area, north of Prince Rupert, and says heavy snow is expected through Wednesday morning.

Winter storm warning for BC's North Coast

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say
For more than a decade, Wisconsin native Douglas Cowgill has helped Americans in Canada navigate the complex task of renouncing their U.S. citizenship, cutting themselves loose from that nation's Internal Revenue Service in the process. But it was only in 2023 that Cowgill — a dual citizen at the time with a Canadian wife and family — took the plunge himself.

Trump bump: U.S. citizenship renunciation inquiries surge in Canada, lawyers say

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings
The proposed $32.5-billion settlement between the companies — JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. — and their creditors received unanimous support from those creditors in a vote last month and must now obtain the court’s approval.

Historic $32.5B tobacco proposal faces final test in series of hearings

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik
One of the admitted hitmen who killed former Air India bombing suspect Ripudaman Singh Malik is set to be sentenced for his part in the murder today in a New Westminster, B.C., courtroom. Tanner Fox and accomplice Jose Lopez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder last October, with Fox scheduled to be sentenced today, and Lopez due back in court on Friday. 

Hitmen face sentencing for B.C. murder of former Air India suspect Malik

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism
The notion that "never again" can the world allow something like the Holocaust to happen feels like it is slipping away, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk both said Tuesday. The two leaders met in Warsaw a day after they joined dozens of other world leaders to mark the 80th anniversary of the liberation of the notorious Nazi death camp Auschwitz.

Trudeau, Tusk warn that 'never again' is slipping away amid rising hatred, extremism

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election
Ford has said he is calling the snap election starting Wednesday because he needs a new mandate to deal with U.S. President Donald Trump, including his threat of imposing 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian goods, possibly starting Feb. 1.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford set to request dissolution of parliament for early election