Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Forecast Thunderstorms Add To Flooding Concerns Across Southern B.C.

Darpan News Desk, 31 May, 2017 12:22 PM
    VANCOUVER — Residents in several areas of British Columbia are bracing for severe thunderstorms as another round of wicked weather bears down on flood-weary regions.
     
    Environment Canada has issued severe thunderstorm watches for areas including the Shuswap and Okanagan east to the Alberta boundary, and the Cariboo, Prince George and Fort Nelson regions of central and northeastern B.C.
     
    Large hail, powerful wind gusts and heavy rain could accompany the storms, adding to the woes of residents in the southern Interior, where river and lake levels continue to creep past flood stage.
     
    New evacuation orders were issued late Tuesday in Olalla, southwest of Penticton, as Keremeos Creek threatens six properties and the Okanagan Indian Band also ordered evacuations for several properties on the west side of Okanagan Lake, south of Vernon. 
     
    Homes at the mouth of Mission Creek, near downtown Kelowna, have been placed on evacuation alert and the River Forecast Centre has also issued flood watches for the Slocan, Kettle, Salmon and Nicola rivers.
     
    It has been almost a month since flooding began in the Central Okanagan, and because Okanagan Lake is 15 centimetres above historic flood levels, officials say it could be many more weeks before the water recedes.
     
    "Environment Canada reported Okanagan Lake has reached 343.15 metres  ... a four centimetre rise since May 30," the Central Okanagan Regional District says in a news release issued Wednesday.
     
    Crews are assessing the condition of flood protection and evaluating the need for repairs or additional measures after heavy rain and high wind overnight, the district says. 
     
    The Thompson Nicola Regional District is also warning of impending flooding as Kamloops Lake, and the North and South Thompson rivers creep up, threatening properties in Kamloops and along the length of those waterways.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Four Rescued, One Missing After Fishing Vessel Flips, Sinks, Near Comox, B.C.

    Four Rescued, One Missing After Fishing Vessel Flips, Sinks, Near Comox, B.C.
    Call came in at about 4 p.m. that a 17-metre vessel had capsized with five people on board.

    Four Rescued, One Missing After Fishing Vessel Flips, Sinks, Near Comox, B.C.

    Montreal Woman Manpreet Kooner Denied Entry To United States Told She Needed Visa

    Montreal Woman Manpreet Kooner Denied Entry To United States Told She Needed Visa
    Manpreet Kooner says she was turned away at a crossing along the Quebec-Vermont border on Sunday and informed she needed a valid visa.

    Montreal Woman Manpreet Kooner Denied Entry To United States Told She Needed Visa

    Khizr Khan Cancels Toronto Talk After Travel Privileges 'Being Reviewed': Organizer

    Khizr Khan Cancels Toronto Talk After Travel Privileges 'Being Reviewed': Organizer
    The organizer of a luncheon featuring a speech by the father of an American Muslim soldier killed in Iraq said Monday that the event was cancelled because the man's "travel privileges are being reviewed."

    Khizr Khan Cancels Toronto Talk After Travel Privileges 'Being Reviewed': Organizer

    2 Charged After RCMP Seize Steroids, Gun In Raids In Owen Sound, Ont., Area

    2 Charged After RCMP Seize Steroids, Gun In Raids In Owen Sound, Ont., Area
    The Mounties say search warrants were executed late last week at a home in Sauble Beach, Ont., and a business in Owen Sound, Ont.

    2 Charged After RCMP Seize Steroids, Gun In Raids In Owen Sound, Ont., Area

    New Trump Travel Ban Puts Renewed Pressure On Trudeau To Speak Out

    New Trump Travel Ban Puts Renewed Pressure On Trudeau To Speak Out
    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is still skirting demands to speak out against the U.S. government's newly revised ban on immigration from specific countries.

    New Trump Travel Ban Puts Renewed Pressure On Trudeau To Speak Out

    Alleged Victim Says Bertrand Charest Kissed Her On The Lips When She Was 16

    Alleged Victim Says Bertrand Charest Kissed Her On The Lips When She Was 16
    Another alleged victim of ex-national ski coach Bertrand Charest has taken the stand at his sex-assault trial.

    Alleged Victim Says Bertrand Charest Kissed Her On The Lips When She Was 16