Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:29 PM
  • Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

A human rights lawyer whose tenure as head of the Canadian Human Rights Commission ended before it really began is suing a Conservative politician, a media personality and the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs for defamation.

At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year.

One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Dattani was named chief commissioner by Justice Minister Arif Virani in June 2024 and was to become the first Muslim and racialized person to hold the title.

But he resigned just before he was to start the position in August after the CIJA and others said he had made anti-Israel comments, including some under a different name, that were not flagged during the vetting process.

The CIJA said in a June 27 statement on its website that Dattani's appointment was "unacceptable." The organization said "social media posts and comments from Mr. Dattani reveal a troubling past of anti-Israel and even antisemitic positions."

Virani tapped a law firm to investigate the complaints and file a report. The report said the investigation found no indication that Dattani held antisemitic beliefs but concluded that he omitted the name "Mujahid Dattani" from his background check form.

In a letter to Virani, Dattani denied that his failure to disclose the name was intentional and said he was only asked for his given name on the application.

After receiving the investigation report, Virani said in a letter to Dattani that the results raised serious concerns about his candour during the appointment process.

Dattani claims the three defendants continued to attack him online after the investigation concluded.

In August 2024, Lantsman took to X to call for a probe into how Dattani was hired. In another social media post, she called him an "antisemite."

Levant, the founder of Rebel News, has called Dattani a "Hamas sympathizer" and an "Islamic extremist" on social media.

Dattani has asked for general damages — $500,000 against Lantsman, $650,000 against Levant and $450,000 against the CIJA — aggravated damages in the amount of $150,000 each from Lantsman, Levant and the CIJA, and special damages in an amount to be determined before trial. He also has asked for declarations stating that the defendants defamed him.

In a news release, Dattani said he became the subject of "an online and media smear campaign, which grossly mischaracterized him as an antisemitic, terrorist supporter" shortly after his appointment. The release said that, despite the investigation's conclusions, "the vicious online attacks continued by those named in the lawsuits."

Lantsman's office said in a statement issued to The Canadian Press that "the controversy surrounding the appointment of Mr. Dattani by the Liberal government is a matter of public record. Ms. Lantsman will vigorously defend herself against these baseless claims."

Richard Marceau, vice president of external affairs and general counsel at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said in a media statement that "we received the Statement of Claim and are reviewing. What we said is sourced and factual."

Ezra Levant said in a statement that the lawsuit is "an attempt to silence legitimate political criticism of a public person on a matter of public interest."

"Dattani’s own words and actions are what have destroyed his reputation, and that’s why the Liberals cut him loose — not our criticism of it," Levant said. 

At a press conference on Parliament Hill Thursday, Dattani said the "campaign" against him has caused "serious and potentially irreparable damage" to his reputation.

"It has impacted my mental and physical health. It has also affected my family and loved ones," he said. "I'm taking this step today to reclaim my reputation and to seek accountability for the damage that has been done to me and those closest to me."

Dattani said he is crowdsourcing funds to help pay for the legal process.

He said he will continue to fight against antisemitism, Islamophobia, anti-Palestinian racism and all forms of hate and bigotry.

Dattani's lawyer Alexi Wood said there has not yet been an official response from the defendants.

She said he could not speak to whether any future legal action could be taken against the federal government.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Former Calgary councillor accused of lying on travel expenses guilty of fraud

Former Calgary councillor accused of lying on travel expenses guilty of fraud
While serving as Calgary city councillor, Joe Magliocca claimed he was hosting and meeting with politicians across the country -- including a Quebec cabinet minister, Ontario's NDP leader and the mayor of Halifax.  But they testified they had never met him.

Former Calgary councillor accused of lying on travel expenses guilty of fraud

Arya says he's out of Liberal leadership race, as Carney gets more caucus support

Arya says he's out of Liberal leadership race, as Carney gets more caucus support
One of the seven Liberal leadership hopefuls says the party is not allowing him to run, as another high-profile cabinet minister endorsed Mark Carney on Sunday.  Ontario member of Parliament Chandra Arya said the Liberal party informed him he's out of the running to be its next leader. 

Arya says he's out of Liberal leadership race, as Carney gets more caucus support

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later
As she prepared to return to Auschwitz-Birkenau, Miriam Ziegler vividly recalled how it felt to be a little girl orphaned by the Nazis and left alone in a world ruined by war. Eighty years after the liberation of the Nazi concentration camp, the 89-year-old Ziegler said Monday the rising tide of "hatred" around the world makes her fear that history might be ready to repeat itself.

Auschwitz survivors fear rising hate could bring on another Holocaust 80 years later

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says
A prominent Republican senator says Canada’s recent investment in border security — announced in response to U.S. President Donald Trump's tariff threat — is tardy but welcome. James Risch, chair of the U.S. Senate foreign relations committee, says border security should be a Canadian policy priority and he wants to see Ottawa make sustained investments.

Canada's border security package welcome but comes late, Republican senator says

Early morning shooting in Newton

Early morning shooting in Newton
Police in Surrey say they're investigating an early-morning shooting in Newton that left a home damaged by gunfire.  The Surrey Police Service says they got multiple calls about shots fired just after 3 a-m yesterday in the Newton area near the intersection of 142 Street and 72nd Ave. 

Early morning shooting in Newton

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd
Police in Langley say they had to use pepper spray and a Taser as they dealt with an "unruly" crowd of young people at an illegal street racing event in the city Friday night. 

Langley RCMP breakup crowd at illegal street racing event with 'unruly' crowd