Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:29 PM
  • Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

A human rights lawyer whose tenure as head of the Canadian Human Rights Commission ended before it really began is suing a Conservative politician, a media personality and the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs for defamation.

At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year.

One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Dattani was named chief commissioner by Justice Minister Arif Virani in June 2024 and was to become the first Muslim and racialized person to hold the title.

But he resigned just before he was to start the position in August after the CIJA and others said he had made anti-Israel comments, including some under a different name, that were not flagged during the vetting process.

The CIJA said in a June 27 statement on its website that Dattani's appointment was "unacceptable." The organization said "social media posts and comments from Mr. Dattani reveal a troubling past of anti-Israel and even antisemitic positions."

Virani tapped a law firm to investigate the complaints and file a report. The report said the investigation found no indication that Dattani held antisemitic beliefs but concluded that he omitted the name "Mujahid Dattani" from his background check form.

In a letter to Virani, Dattani denied that his failure to disclose the name was intentional and said he was only asked for his given name on the application.

After receiving the investigation report, Virani said in a letter to Dattani that the results raised serious concerns about his candour during the appointment process.

Dattani claims the three defendants continued to attack him online after the investigation concluded.

In August 2024, Lantsman took to X to call for a probe into how Dattani was hired. In another social media post, she called him an "antisemite."

Levant, the founder of Rebel News, has called Dattani a "Hamas sympathizer" and an "Islamic extremist" on social media.

Dattani has asked for general damages — $500,000 against Lantsman, $650,000 against Levant and $450,000 against the CIJA — aggravated damages in the amount of $150,000 each from Lantsman, Levant and the CIJA, and special damages in an amount to be determined before trial. He also has asked for declarations stating that the defendants defamed him.

In a news release, Dattani said he became the subject of "an online and media smear campaign, which grossly mischaracterized him as an antisemitic, terrorist supporter" shortly after his appointment. The release said that, despite the investigation's conclusions, "the vicious online attacks continued by those named in the lawsuits."

Lantsman's office said in a statement issued to The Canadian Press that "the controversy surrounding the appointment of Mr. Dattani by the Liberal government is a matter of public record. Ms. Lantsman will vigorously defend herself against these baseless claims."

Richard Marceau, vice president of external affairs and general counsel at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said in a media statement that "we received the Statement of Claim and are reviewing. What we said is sourced and factual."

Ezra Levant said in a statement that the lawsuit is "an attempt to silence legitimate political criticism of a public person on a matter of public interest."

"Dattani’s own words and actions are what have destroyed his reputation, and that’s why the Liberals cut him loose — not our criticism of it," Levant said. 

At a press conference on Parliament Hill Thursday, Dattani said the "campaign" against him has caused "serious and potentially irreparable damage" to his reputation.

"It has impacted my mental and physical health. It has also affected my family and loved ones," he said. "I'm taking this step today to reclaim my reputation and to seek accountability for the damage that has been done to me and those closest to me."

Dattani said he is crowdsourcing funds to help pay for the legal process.

He said he will continue to fight against antisemitism, Islamophobia, anti-Palestinian racism and all forms of hate and bigotry.

Dattani's lawyer Alexi Wood said there has not yet been an official response from the defendants.

She said he could not speak to whether any future legal action could be taken against the federal government.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Quick Sketch: Meet Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland

Quick Sketch: Meet Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland
Chrystia Freeland is touting her experience in government as evidence she can rebuild the Liberal party and steer the country through a perilous time. The former journalist built her career in Soviet Union, and worked personal connections to navigate the Donald Trump's first presidency — to the point of annoying him.

Quick Sketch: Meet Liberal leadership candidate Chrystia Freeland

B.C. paramedics say staffing nears 'critical' levels, affecting response times

B.C. paramedics say staffing nears 'critical' levels, affecting response times
The union representing almost 6,000 ambulance paramedics and dispatchers in British Columbia is sounding an alarm on staffing levels "reaching critical" in the province. In a statement, the Ambulance Paramedics of British Columbia CUPE 873 says members are reporting "dozens and dozens" of empty ambulances, with "hundreds" of unfilled positions across the province. 

B.C. paramedics say staffing nears 'critical' levels, affecting response times

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader
In a video posted on social media, John Rustad says everything possible needs to be done to stop drugs from coming into the province and address issues at the ports, and that a trade war could cost tens of thousands of jobs.

B.C. premier should work with U.S., not ramp up trade threats: Opposition leader

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters
A boat was destroyed in the waters of the Indian Arm fjord near North Vancouver's Deep Cove on Saturday afternoon after it caught fire, smouldered for over three hours and sank. A spokesperson for the Pacific region of the Fisheries Department says Canadian Coast Guard were advised of the burning boat just after noon on Jan. 18 and dispatched from the Kitsilano Base.

Boat sinks after smouldering for three hours in Indian Arm waters

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach
The federal privacy watchdog says he's "concerned" about a data breach involving a student information system used across Canada, and his office is seeking more information from the U.S.-based company behind the targeted software. Privacy commissioner Philippe Dufresne says his office is in touch with PowerSchool, which provides the affected platforms to schools across North America.

Canada's privacy watchdog 'concerned' about students' personal info after data breach

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports
The New York Times and Wall Street Journal say incoming U.S. president Donald Trump won't slam Canada with damaging tariffs on his inauguration day. Both U.S. newspapers report Trump will instead sign an executive order today to investigate alleged unfair trade and currency practices by Canada, Mexico and China.

Donald Trump won't hit Canada with tariffs on his first day in office: reports