Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Feb, 2025 04:29 PM
  • Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

A human rights lawyer whose tenure as head of the Canadian Human Rights Commission ended before it really began is suing a Conservative politician, a media personality and the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs for defamation.

At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year.

One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Dattani was named chief commissioner by Justice Minister Arif Virani in June 2024 and was to become the first Muslim and racialized person to hold the title.

But he resigned just before he was to start the position in August after the CIJA and others said he had made anti-Israel comments, including some under a different name, that were not flagged during the vetting process.

The CIJA said in a June 27 statement on its website that Dattani's appointment was "unacceptable." The organization said "social media posts and comments from Mr. Dattani reveal a troubling past of anti-Israel and even antisemitic positions."

Virani tapped a law firm to investigate the complaints and file a report. The report said the investigation found no indication that Dattani held antisemitic beliefs but concluded that he omitted the name "Mujahid Dattani" from his background check form.

In a letter to Virani, Dattani denied that his failure to disclose the name was intentional and said he was only asked for his given name on the application.

After receiving the investigation report, Virani said in a letter to Dattani that the results raised serious concerns about his candour during the appointment process.

Dattani claims the three defendants continued to attack him online after the investigation concluded.

In August 2024, Lantsman took to X to call for a probe into how Dattani was hired. In another social media post, she called him an "antisemite."

Levant, the founder of Rebel News, has called Dattani a "Hamas sympathizer" and an "Islamic extremist" on social media.

Dattani has asked for general damages — $500,000 against Lantsman, $650,000 against Levant and $450,000 against the CIJA — aggravated damages in the amount of $150,000 each from Lantsman, Levant and the CIJA, and special damages in an amount to be determined before trial. He also has asked for declarations stating that the defendants defamed him.

In a news release, Dattani said he became the subject of "an online and media smear campaign, which grossly mischaracterized him as an antisemitic, terrorist supporter" shortly after his appointment. The release said that, despite the investigation's conclusions, "the vicious online attacks continued by those named in the lawsuits."

Lantsman's office said in a statement issued to The Canadian Press that "the controversy surrounding the appointment of Mr. Dattani by the Liberal government is a matter of public record. Ms. Lantsman will vigorously defend herself against these baseless claims."

Richard Marceau, vice president of external affairs and general counsel at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs, said in a media statement that "we received the Statement of Claim and are reviewing. What we said is sourced and factual."

Ezra Levant said in a statement that the lawsuit is "an attempt to silence legitimate political criticism of a public person on a matter of public interest."

"Dattani’s own words and actions are what have destroyed his reputation, and that’s why the Liberals cut him loose — not our criticism of it," Levant said. 

At a press conference on Parliament Hill Thursday, Dattani said the "campaign" against him has caused "serious and potentially irreparable damage" to his reputation.

"It has impacted my mental and physical health. It has also affected my family and loved ones," he said. "I'm taking this step today to reclaim my reputation and to seek accountability for the damage that has been done to me and those closest to me."

Dattani said he is crowdsourcing funds to help pay for the legal process.

He said he will continue to fight against antisemitism, Islamophobia, anti-Palestinian racism and all forms of hate and bigotry.

Dattani's lawyer Alexi Wood said there has not yet been an official response from the defendants.

She said he could not speak to whether any future legal action could be taken against the federal government.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs
Canada's premiers are set to meet with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and members of his cabinet today to talk about U.S. president-elect Donald Trump's vow to impose steep tariffs. Trump has promised to impose 25 per cent tariffs on all Canadian and Mexican imports — one of several measures he says he'll enact on day one of his presidency through an executive order. He assumes that office on Monday.

Trudeau and the premiers meet to discuss a response to Trump's threatened tariffs

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic
An ultrasound technician has been charged with sexually assaulting a patient at his southeast Edmonton clinic last year.  Edmonton police say 53-year-old Aasim Syed Ahmed was charged in August 2024 with one count of sexual assault.

Ultrasound technician accused of sexually assaulting woman at Edmonton clinic

As fruit buds swell, B.C. farmers hit by 2024 deep freeze hope for better harvest

As fruit buds swell, B.C. farmers hit by 2024 deep freeze hope for better harvest
Peter Simonsen says buds on the peach trees at his farm in Naramata, B.C., are already starting to swell early. With plants already budding because of the previous warmth, a year's worth of crops, including peaches and nectarines, were wiped out, along with the vast majority of cherries, and grapes used in B.C. wines. The loss cost hundreds of millions of dollars and left many farmers scrambling to stay afloat.

As fruit buds swell, B.C. farmers hit by 2024 deep freeze hope for better harvest

Suspect in West Edmonton Mall shooting arrested in Northwest Territories

Suspect in West Edmonton Mall shooting arrested in Northwest Territories
A suspect in an August 2023 shooting at West Edmonton Mall has been arrested in the Northwest Territories. Edmonton police say they're working with their counterparts in the territory to execute warrants related to the shooting.

Suspect in West Edmonton Mall shooting arrested in Northwest Territories

Canada carbon rebate goes out today as future of carbon tax remains unclear

Canada carbon rebate goes out today as future of carbon tax remains unclear
For a family of four, the rebate will pay out anywhere from $190 in New Brunswick to $450 in Alberta, with people in small and rural communities receiving a 20 per cent boost to their rebates.

Canada carbon rebate goes out today as future of carbon tax remains unclear

Canada says it has border under control just ahead of Trump inauguration

Canada says it has border under control just ahead of Trump inauguration
Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says Ottawa has added 60 new drones at the Canada-U.S. border and will deploy two new helicopters this week as it moves to ratchet up security. McGuinty trotted out the details of new measures as the federal government seeks to prove it's serious about beefing up border security with just five days left before Donald Trump's inauguration.

Canada says it has border under control just ahead of Trump inauguration