Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2025 03:55 PM
  • Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Prime Minister Mark Carney has launched a new artificial intelligence ministry and has named former journalist Evan Solomon to lead it.

Experts welcomed the move Tuesday, though they cautioned there are many unanswered questions about how the new minister will split responsibility for digital issues with his counterparts.

Benjamin Bergen is president of the Council of Canadian Innovators, which represents the tech sector. He said the move recognizes that when it comes to AI, "we need to move faster and think bigger as a country."

The new portfolio was part of a major cabinet shuffle Monday which saw Carney make significant changes and additions to his cabinet.

Solomon was elected for the first time in the April 28 election in the riding of Toronto Centre. He previously worked as a TV host for both CBC and CTV.

Michael Geist, Canada research chair in internet and e-commerce law at the University of Ottawa, said the new ministry is "good signal about prioritizing AI and digital innovation."

"Naming Evan Solomon — who is smart and tech savvy — is an excellent choice," Geist said.

While the previous government introduced an AI regulation bill targeting "high-impact" systems, the bill did not become law before the election was called.

During the election campaign, Carney spoke about the economic potential of AI and promised to invest in AI training, adoption and commercialization. There was little talk during the campaign about regulating the emerging technology - though the Liberal platform did include a promise to make it a criminal offence to distribute non-consensual sexual deepfakes.

Geist said that while there will be calls for the government to move quickly on regulation, "there has been a notable shift globally in recent months toward a more innovation-focused approach."

The Liberals’ election platform promised to move fast on building data centres, introduce a tax credit to incentivize AI adoption by small and medium-sized businesses, and push to expand programs at Canada’s artificial intelligence institutes to drive AI commercialization. The platform also vowed to keep Canadian intellectual property in the country.

Critics have been saying for years that, despite Canada’s strength in artificial intelligence research, the country has been slow to commercialize the technology and has struggled to retain intellectual property.

"We were world leaders in AI research but have really struggled to ingest the technology into our government and to adopt it more broadly across Canada, and... to turn that initial strength in research into prosperity and wealth for Canadians," Bergen said.

"So I think this is really a signal that there's a real opportunity for Canada to try and capitalize on this."

Carney also has promised to use AI to make government more efficient through a dedicated office of digital transformation, and to build up AI capacity in the labour market.

Geist said there are unanswered questions about how responsibility for the file will be distributed in cabinet. Artificial intelligence previously fell largely under the industry portfolio, which is now headed by former foreign affairs minister Mélanie Joly.

Responsibility for digital files also has been shared with what was previously the heritage ministry. Steven Guilbeault is now back heading that file, which has been renamed Canadian identity and culture. During his time as heritage minister, Guilbeault caused controversy over his handling of legislation to update the Broadcasting Act to incorporate online services.

Geist said it’s not clear how ministerial responsibility will be split on AI-related issues like copyright.

The question of whether generative AI systems can use copyrighted content is currently in front of courts in the United States and Canada. While the federal government held a consultation on the question, it hasn’t proposed legislative changes.

Florian Martin-Bariteau, university research chair in technology and society at the University of Ottawa, said it’s also not clear who in cabinet will take responsibility for incorporating AI into the public sector.

Joël Lightbound has been named minister of government transformation, while Shafqat Ali is president of the Treasury Board, which recently led consultations on an AI strategy for the federal public service.

"I welcome this, but I would say until… we know exactly who will be in charge of what, maybe I will wait until I fully celebrate," said Martin-Bariteau, adding the division of digital files among various departments "is why in my opinion we don't have a coherent digital policy for the country."

"I think it will be good to have a whole-of-government approach on those issues, to tackle also the big picture issues," he added.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

MPs reject Trump's idea of clearing out Gaza as Israeli minister points to Canada

MPs reject Trump's idea of clearing out Gaza as Israeli minister points to Canada
Canadian politicians are pushing back on the idea of clearing Palestinians out of the Gaza Strip as an Israeli minister suggests some of them could be sent to Canada. The previous day, U.S. President Donald Trump stunned leaders across the Middle East and beyond when he suggested that the territory be cleared out and made into a U.S.-owned resort destination.

MPs reject Trump's idea of clearing out Gaza as Israeli minister points to Canada

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson
Federal Energy Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says Ottawa and the provinces should discuss the possibility of an oil pipeline to Eastern Canada to improve energy security and diversify trade. Wilkinson said Thursday that United States President Donald Trump's tariff threats have exposed "vulnerabilities" in the Canadian economy, including in the energy sector. 

Ottawa, provinces should discuss possibility of west-east oil pipeline: Wilkinson

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery
The fire-ravaged town of Jasper, Alta., has received two pieces of critical funding from the federal and provincial governments as it attempts to stabilize in the wake of last summer's devastating wildfire. The federal government announced on Thursday it's committing $162 million to the recovery in Jasper, Alta. — a portion of which is being dedicated to interim and long-term housing.

Federal government commits more than $160 million to Jasper recovery

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests
The mining industry is applauding the British Columbia government's decision to fast-track permits for several projects amid the ongoing U.S. tariff threat, but research suggests economic factors have been behind long delays for many other proposals. Simon Fraser University associate professor Rosemary Collard says research shows that regulatory fast-tracking of mining projects is no guarantee that they will all materialize.

Fast-track approval no guarantee of success for B.C. mines, researcher suggests

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation
At a press conference Thursday, Birju Dattani spoke about lawsuits he has filed against Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman, media personality Ezra Levant and the Jewish advocacy group Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs over statements made about him on social media last year. One of the defendants has called Dattani's claims "baseless."

Former human rights chief commissioner sues for defamation

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say
Lawyers for five women who were sexually assaulted in Vancouver decades ago say their clients are grateful they won a civil lawsuit against a man acquitted of the crimes due to state misconduct. The B.C. Supreme Court awarded the five plaintiffs $375,000 each in damages from Ivan Henry for attacks in the early 1980s, in a case that set off decades of legal battles over his wrongful conviction, for which he won $8 million in his own civil lawsuit in 2016.

Five women sexually assaulted in B.C. 'grateful' for lawsuit victory, lawyers say