Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2025 03:55 PM
  • Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Prime Minister Mark Carney has launched a new artificial intelligence ministry and has named former journalist Evan Solomon to lead it.

Experts welcomed the move Tuesday, though they cautioned there are many unanswered questions about how the new minister will split responsibility for digital issues with his counterparts.

Benjamin Bergen is president of the Council of Canadian Innovators, which represents the tech sector. He said the move recognizes that when it comes to AI, "we need to move faster and think bigger as a country."

The new portfolio was part of a major cabinet shuffle Monday which saw Carney make significant changes and additions to his cabinet.

Solomon was elected for the first time in the April 28 election in the riding of Toronto Centre. He previously worked as a TV host for both CBC and CTV.

Michael Geist, Canada research chair in internet and e-commerce law at the University of Ottawa, said the new ministry is "good signal about prioritizing AI and digital innovation."

"Naming Evan Solomon — who is smart and tech savvy — is an excellent choice," Geist said.

While the previous government introduced an AI regulation bill targeting "high-impact" systems, the bill did not become law before the election was called.

During the election campaign, Carney spoke about the economic potential of AI and promised to invest in AI training, adoption and commercialization. There was little talk during the campaign about regulating the emerging technology - though the Liberal platform did include a promise to make it a criminal offence to distribute non-consensual sexual deepfakes.

Geist said that while there will be calls for the government to move quickly on regulation, "there has been a notable shift globally in recent months toward a more innovation-focused approach."

The Liberals’ election platform promised to move fast on building data centres, introduce a tax credit to incentivize AI adoption by small and medium-sized businesses, and push to expand programs at Canada’s artificial intelligence institutes to drive AI commercialization. The platform also vowed to keep Canadian intellectual property in the country.

Critics have been saying for years that, despite Canada’s strength in artificial intelligence research, the country has been slow to commercialize the technology and has struggled to retain intellectual property.

"We were world leaders in AI research but have really struggled to ingest the technology into our government and to adopt it more broadly across Canada, and... to turn that initial strength in research into prosperity and wealth for Canadians," Bergen said.

"So I think this is really a signal that there's a real opportunity for Canada to try and capitalize on this."

Carney also has promised to use AI to make government more efficient through a dedicated office of digital transformation, and to build up AI capacity in the labour market.

Geist said there are unanswered questions about how responsibility for the file will be distributed in cabinet. Artificial intelligence previously fell largely under the industry portfolio, which is now headed by former foreign affairs minister Mélanie Joly.

Responsibility for digital files also has been shared with what was previously the heritage ministry. Steven Guilbeault is now back heading that file, which has been renamed Canadian identity and culture. During his time as heritage minister, Guilbeault caused controversy over his handling of legislation to update the Broadcasting Act to incorporate online services.

Geist said it’s not clear how ministerial responsibility will be split on AI-related issues like copyright.

The question of whether generative AI systems can use copyrighted content is currently in front of courts in the United States and Canada. While the federal government held a consultation on the question, it hasn’t proposed legislative changes.

Florian Martin-Bariteau, university research chair in technology and society at the University of Ottawa, said it’s also not clear who in cabinet will take responsibility for incorporating AI into the public sector.

Joël Lightbound has been named minister of government transformation, while Shafqat Ali is president of the Treasury Board, which recently led consultations on an AI strategy for the federal public service.

"I welcome this, but I would say until… we know exactly who will be in charge of what, maybe I will wait until I fully celebrate," said Martin-Bariteau, adding the division of digital files among various departments "is why in my opinion we don't have a coherent digital policy for the country."

"I think it will be good to have a whole-of-government approach on those issues, to tackle also the big picture issues," he added.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil
Finance worker Michael Atkinson is a fan of electric cars, but lately he found himself embarrassed to drive his Tesla Model 3 around Vancouver. Dismayed by Tesla CEO Elon Musk and his association with U.S. President Donald Trump, Atkinson now drives an electric Volkswagen ID.4 after returning his Tesla to the dealership with two months left on the lease.

From Musk to mushrooms, Canadian buyers let money do the talking amid tariff turmoil

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada
To justify his executive order imposing stiff tariffs on goods from Canada, Mexico and China, U.S. President Donald Trump cited an "extraordinary threat posed by illegal aliens and drugs, including deadly fentanyl." Trump agreed Monday to pause the planned tariffs against Canada and Mexico for 30 days in response to both countries promising to bolster border security.

Fact-checking Trump's executive order threatening tariffs on Canada

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely
A month-long pause on Donald Trump's tariff threat has done little to ease Canadian concerns as key cabinet ministers return to Washington hoping to push the devastating duties off the table permanently. Wilkinson is making the case among key Republicans for a Canada-U. S. energy and resource alliance — part of an effort to align with U.S. President Donald Trump's goal of making America energy dominant.

Ministers call on Washington lawmakers to scrap tariff threat completely

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats
As U.S. President Donald Trump continues to hold out the threat of steep tariffs on Canadian imports, the federal trade minister is citing a new deal with Ecuador as proof that its trade diversification strategy is working. Mary Ng told The Canadian Press the free-trade agreement with Ecuador, the sixth-largest economy in South America, is the 16th such deal signed since the government launched its trade diversification push eight years ago.

Canada presses on with trade diversification strategy in face of Trump's threats

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88
The Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of the world’s Ismaili Muslims, has died at the age of 88. A post on social media from the Aga Khan Development Network says he passed away peacefully today in Lisbon, surrounded by his family.

Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims, dead at 88

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says
Public Safety Minister David McGuinty says there is no plan to send Canadian soldiers to the Canada-U.S. border. In a bid to head off crippling tariffs threatened by U.S. President Donald Trump, Canada has committed to tasking 10,000 frontline personnel with protecting the border.

No Canadian soldiers assigned to border enforcement, minister says