Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2025 03:55 PM
  • Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Prime Minister Mark Carney has launched a new artificial intelligence ministry and has named former journalist Evan Solomon to lead it.

Experts welcomed the move Tuesday, though they cautioned there are many unanswered questions about how the new minister will split responsibility for digital issues with his counterparts.

Benjamin Bergen is president of the Council of Canadian Innovators, which represents the tech sector. He said the move recognizes that when it comes to AI, "we need to move faster and think bigger as a country."

The new portfolio was part of a major cabinet shuffle Monday which saw Carney make significant changes and additions to his cabinet.

Solomon was elected for the first time in the April 28 election in the riding of Toronto Centre. He previously worked as a TV host for both CBC and CTV.

Michael Geist, Canada research chair in internet and e-commerce law at the University of Ottawa, said the new ministry is "good signal about prioritizing AI and digital innovation."

"Naming Evan Solomon — who is smart and tech savvy — is an excellent choice," Geist said.

While the previous government introduced an AI regulation bill targeting "high-impact" systems, the bill did not become law before the election was called.

During the election campaign, Carney spoke about the economic potential of AI and promised to invest in AI training, adoption and commercialization. There was little talk during the campaign about regulating the emerging technology - though the Liberal platform did include a promise to make it a criminal offence to distribute non-consensual sexual deepfakes.

Geist said that while there will be calls for the government to move quickly on regulation, "there has been a notable shift globally in recent months toward a more innovation-focused approach."

The Liberals’ election platform promised to move fast on building data centres, introduce a tax credit to incentivize AI adoption by small and medium-sized businesses, and push to expand programs at Canada’s artificial intelligence institutes to drive AI commercialization. The platform also vowed to keep Canadian intellectual property in the country.

Critics have been saying for years that, despite Canada’s strength in artificial intelligence research, the country has been slow to commercialize the technology and has struggled to retain intellectual property.

"We were world leaders in AI research but have really struggled to ingest the technology into our government and to adopt it more broadly across Canada, and... to turn that initial strength in research into prosperity and wealth for Canadians," Bergen said.

"So I think this is really a signal that there's a real opportunity for Canada to try and capitalize on this."

Carney also has promised to use AI to make government more efficient through a dedicated office of digital transformation, and to build up AI capacity in the labour market.

Geist said there are unanswered questions about how responsibility for the file will be distributed in cabinet. Artificial intelligence previously fell largely under the industry portfolio, which is now headed by former foreign affairs minister Mélanie Joly.

Responsibility for digital files also has been shared with what was previously the heritage ministry. Steven Guilbeault is now back heading that file, which has been renamed Canadian identity and culture. During his time as heritage minister, Guilbeault caused controversy over his handling of legislation to update the Broadcasting Act to incorporate online services.

Geist said it’s not clear how ministerial responsibility will be split on AI-related issues like copyright.

The question of whether generative AI systems can use copyrighted content is currently in front of courts in the United States and Canada. While the federal government held a consultation on the question, it hasn’t proposed legislative changes.

Florian Martin-Bariteau, university research chair in technology and society at the University of Ottawa, said it’s also not clear who in cabinet will take responsibility for incorporating AI into the public sector.

Joël Lightbound has been named minister of government transformation, while Shafqat Ali is president of the Treasury Board, which recently led consultations on an AI strategy for the federal public service.

"I welcome this, but I would say until… we know exactly who will be in charge of what, maybe I will wait until I fully celebrate," said Martin-Bariteau, adding the division of digital files among various departments "is why in my opinion we don't have a coherent digital policy for the country."

"I think it will be good to have a whole-of-government approach on those issues, to tackle also the big picture issues," he added.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report
In her final report released Tuesday, inquiry Commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue concludes that while the threat of foreign interference is real, Canada's democratic institutions have held up well against the dangers.

No 'traitors' in Parliament, but more steps needed to counter interference: report

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van
Police have reopened a bridge across Okanagan Lake in the B.C. Interior after an explosives scare that shut it down for about 11 hours. Officers say the incident began early Monday morning when a man parked a white panel van across multiple lanes of the William R. Bennett Bridge and posted online remarks about the contents.

Bridge over Okanagan Lake in B.C. reopens after bomb scare, fire in van

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis
Police in Kelowna say the William Bennet Bridge has reopened after an overnight closure that was prompted by a call about a person in crisis. RCMP say officers had responded at about 3:45 a-m, finding the person had parked a vehicle across the eastbound lanes of the bridge.

Kelowna Bridge has reopens after an overnight closure prompted by a call about a person in crisis

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop
Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop. R-C-M-P say officers were patrolling along Highway 97 last week when they tried to stop a driver who they allegedly saw committing motor vehicle infractions.

Two people are facing charges in Prince George after police seized drugs and guns during an attempted traffic stop

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta
One person is dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Metro Vancouver. Police in Delta say it happened last night along Highway 99, near the exit for Highway 17, where a pick-up truck crashed into a barrier before rolling onto its roof.

One dead after a single-vehicle rollover crash in Delta

Ford's decision to speed up alcohol sales expansion will cost province $612M: report

Ford's decision to speed up alcohol sales expansion will cost province $612M: report
Premier Doug Ford's decision to speed up the rollout of alcohol sales in corner stores — which first sparked early election speculation last spring — will cost the province more than $600 million, Ontario's budget watchdog said Monday. That's nearly three times the amount the Progressive Conservative government said it would cost to accelerate the timeline.

Ford's decision to speed up alcohol sales expansion will cost province $612M: report