Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 May, 2025 03:55 PM
  • Former journalist Evan Solomon named first-ever federal AI minister

Prime Minister Mark Carney has launched a new artificial intelligence ministry and has named former journalist Evan Solomon to lead it.

Experts welcomed the move Tuesday, though they cautioned there are many unanswered questions about how the new minister will split responsibility for digital issues with his counterparts.

Benjamin Bergen is president of the Council of Canadian Innovators, which represents the tech sector. He said the move recognizes that when it comes to AI, "we need to move faster and think bigger as a country."

The new portfolio was part of a major cabinet shuffle Monday which saw Carney make significant changes and additions to his cabinet.

Solomon was elected for the first time in the April 28 election in the riding of Toronto Centre. He previously worked as a TV host for both CBC and CTV.

Michael Geist, Canada research chair in internet and e-commerce law at the University of Ottawa, said the new ministry is "good signal about prioritizing AI and digital innovation."

"Naming Evan Solomon — who is smart and tech savvy — is an excellent choice," Geist said.

While the previous government introduced an AI regulation bill targeting "high-impact" systems, the bill did not become law before the election was called.

During the election campaign, Carney spoke about the economic potential of AI and promised to invest in AI training, adoption and commercialization. There was little talk during the campaign about regulating the emerging technology - though the Liberal platform did include a promise to make it a criminal offence to distribute non-consensual sexual deepfakes.

Geist said that while there will be calls for the government to move quickly on regulation, "there has been a notable shift globally in recent months toward a more innovation-focused approach."

The Liberals’ election platform promised to move fast on building data centres, introduce a tax credit to incentivize AI adoption by small and medium-sized businesses, and push to expand programs at Canada’s artificial intelligence institutes to drive AI commercialization. The platform also vowed to keep Canadian intellectual property in the country.

Critics have been saying for years that, despite Canada’s strength in artificial intelligence research, the country has been slow to commercialize the technology and has struggled to retain intellectual property.

"We were world leaders in AI research but have really struggled to ingest the technology into our government and to adopt it more broadly across Canada, and... to turn that initial strength in research into prosperity and wealth for Canadians," Bergen said.

"So I think this is really a signal that there's a real opportunity for Canada to try and capitalize on this."

Carney also has promised to use AI to make government more efficient through a dedicated office of digital transformation, and to build up AI capacity in the labour market.

Geist said there are unanswered questions about how responsibility for the file will be distributed in cabinet. Artificial intelligence previously fell largely under the industry portfolio, which is now headed by former foreign affairs minister Mélanie Joly.

Responsibility for digital files also has been shared with what was previously the heritage ministry. Steven Guilbeault is now back heading that file, which has been renamed Canadian identity and culture. During his time as heritage minister, Guilbeault caused controversy over his handling of legislation to update the Broadcasting Act to incorporate online services.

Geist said it’s not clear how ministerial responsibility will be split on AI-related issues like copyright.

The question of whether generative AI systems can use copyrighted content is currently in front of courts in the United States and Canada. While the federal government held a consultation on the question, it hasn’t proposed legislative changes.

Florian Martin-Bariteau, university research chair in technology and society at the University of Ottawa, said it’s also not clear who in cabinet will take responsibility for incorporating AI into the public sector.

Joël Lightbound has been named minister of government transformation, while Shafqat Ali is president of the Treasury Board, which recently led consultations on an AI strategy for the federal public service.

"I welcome this, but I would say until… we know exactly who will be in charge of what, maybe I will wait until I fully celebrate," said Martin-Bariteau, adding the division of digital files among various departments "is why in my opinion we don't have a coherent digital policy for the country."

"I think it will be good to have a whole-of-government approach on those issues, to tackle also the big picture issues," he added.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada
Trump signed an executive order Thursday delaying tariffs on goods that meet the rules-of-origin requirements under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement, often referred to as CUSMA, and lowering levies on potash to 10 per cent, until April 2.

Trump's temporary pause on some tariffs brings little relief to Canada

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools
Dallas Brodie didn't name anyone, but appeared to single out the Conservatives' house leader, A'aliya Warbus, by criticizing an Indigenous woman who sided with the governing NDP to criticize Brodie. Warbus is the only Indigenous woman in the Opposition ranks

B.C. Conservative attacks 'super angry' Indigenous colleague over residential schools

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre
In a new report, the Canadian Centre for Cyber Security says it expects individuals affiliated with the Chinese government will continue to target diaspora communities, pushing narratives favourable to Beijing's interests on social media platforms. Cybercriminals are also likely to take advantage of election-related opportunities to perpetrate scams, says the centre, which is an arm of Canada's cyberspy agency, the Communications Security Establishment. 

Canadians should expect AI-enabled foreign meddling in election: cybersecurity centre

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement
British Columbia Attorney General Niki Sharma says B.C.'s share of a landmark settlement for health damages from the big tobacco firms will be about $3.7 billion. It's part of a $32.5-billion Canadian settlement between JTI-Macdonald Corp., Rothmans, Benson & Hedges and Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. and their creditors after more than five years of negotiations.

B.C. to get about $3.7 billion in tobacco lawsuit settlement

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response
British Columbia will introduce legislation in the coming days that would give it the ability to levy fees on commercial trucks travelling from the United States through the province to Alaska, Premier David Eby said.  The move against Alaska-bound trucks is part of a series of responses the province is planning after the "unprecedented attack" from the United States that put a 25 per cent tariff on many Canadian goods.

B.C. poised to toll U.S. trucks driving to Alaska through province in tariff response

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause
Finance Minister Dominic LeBlanc says Canada has suspended a second wave of retaliatory tariffs after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order to pause some duties.

Canada halts second tariff wave after Trump announces pause