Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Feb, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, B.C., including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader.

RCMP previously said that Jarrod Bacon had been charged with aggravated assault, while another man named John Chasse faced an assault charge in connection with the Jan. 29 shooting that sent one person to hospital.

Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Bacon has been identified by police and in the courts as one of the leaders of the Red Scorpions — a drug trafficking group tied to a deadly gang war in the province.

Spokeswoman Damienne Darby says in a statement that the stay of proceedings against the men occurred on Feb. 14.

She says the service does not disclose the reasons for such decisions, but the prosecutor reviewed the investigative materials and charge approval standard was no longer met.

"In these circumstances a stay of proceedings is the appropriate course of action," she says in the statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey
British Columbia's independent police watchdog has been notified after a women was shot and killed by police in Surrey. RCMP say in happened Thursday when police were called to a disturbance at a home at about 4:40 a.m.

Woman dies, watchdog notified after police shooting in Surrey

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition
R-C-M-P and the Surrey Police Service are set to keep working alongside each other, even after the takeover date by the municipal police force. The S-P-S is slated to take jurisdiction of Surrey on November 29th, but says the R-C-M-P will continue to operate in the area and help with transition support. 

RCMP and the Surrey Police Service to keep working alongside each other even after Nov29th transition

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing
Surrey R-C-M-P say one youth has been charged following a stabbing attack on two men earlier this month. Police say on September 11th, officers responded to calls of a fight on 130-A Street.

Teenager charged in Surrey stabbing

BC Greens want to lower voting age

BC Greens want to lower voting age
The B-C Green Party wants to lower the voting age in the province to 16, saying the move would empower young people and strengthen democracy. Green Leader Sonia Furstenau says lowering the voting age and allowing teens to vote in provincial elections while they're still in high school would jumpstart civic engagement while giving young people a real say in shaping their future.

BC Greens want to lower voting age

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants
Vancouver Police are looking for the occupants of an S-U-V that was in the area where Japanese chef Wataru Kakiuchi was fatally stabbed early on June 5th. A 32-year-old man was arrested and charged with second-degree murder less than a week after the stabbing in the city's Downtown Eastside.

VPD on lookout for SUV occupants

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge
An early morning fire has destroyed a historic bridge in Kamloops. The blaze is believed to have started in the middle of city's Red Bridge at around 3 a-m, eventually engulfing the wooden structure that had two lanes for vehicles.

Fire destroys historic Kamloops bridge