Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Feb, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, B.C., including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader.

RCMP previously said that Jarrod Bacon had been charged with aggravated assault, while another man named John Chasse faced an assault charge in connection with the Jan. 29 shooting that sent one person to hospital.

Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Bacon has been identified by police and in the courts as one of the leaders of the Red Scorpions — a drug trafficking group tied to a deadly gang war in the province.

Spokeswoman Damienne Darby says in a statement that the stay of proceedings against the men occurred on Feb. 14.

She says the service does not disclose the reasons for such decisions, but the prosecutor reviewed the investigative materials and charge approval standard was no longer met.

"In these circumstances a stay of proceedings is the appropriate course of action," she says in the statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

Homicide in Agassiz

Homicide in Agassiz
Police in Agassiz say a man has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of a woman in a case of possible intimate partner violence. Mounties say police were called to a home at the Seabird Island Band in April and found a 33-year-old woman dead at the scene.

Homicide in Agassiz

In message of hope, Singh says challenge ahead is convincing people NDP can win

In message of hope, Singh says challenge ahead is convincing people NDP can win
Jagmeet Singh is delivering a message of hope today in his first speech following the NDP's exit from its supply and confidence deal with the minority Liberals. But the NDP leader acknowledges one of the party's biggest challenges will be persuading Canadians it can actually form government. 

In message of hope, Singh says challenge ahead is convincing people NDP can win

BC United MLA Dan Davies runs as Independent, sees himself as possible 'powerbroker'

BC United MLA Dan Davies runs as Independent, sees himself as possible 'powerbroker'
A third BC United legislator has declared his candidacy as an Independent in the Oct. 19 provincial election. Dan Davies, first elected in 2017 in the Peace River North riding, says if elected this fall he could become a "powerbroker" in a potential minority government situation.

BC United MLA Dan Davies runs as Independent, sees himself as possible 'powerbroker'

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures
The union's local chapter in Prince George says in a statement that about 325 of the 500 workers at the Plateau mill in Vanderhoof and Canfor's Fort St. John operation belong to United Steelworkers. The statement says the union membership was "devastated" to hear Canfor's announcement on Wednesday that the mills would close by the end of this year, removing 670 million board feet of annual production capacity.

Union 'devastated' by B.C. mill closures, says Canfor should lose tenures

B.C. Greens make election pledge for free transit, doubling of bus numbers

B.C. Greens make election pledge for free transit, doubling of bus numbers
B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau has announced an election policy to make all public transit in the province free. She says the policy, released ahead of the fall provincial vote, would relieve financial strain on families, create more livable communities and reduce carbon emissions.

B.C. Greens make election pledge for free transit, doubling of bus numbers

B.C. residents can still get COVID shots until arrival of updated vaccines: province

B.C. residents can still get COVID shots until arrival of updated vaccines: province
British Columbia says its current supply of COVID-19 vaccines will remain available until new formulations are approved, unlike other provinces that say they're following instructions from the Public Health Agency of Canada to remove and destroy existing doses. A spokesman for the provincial health officer says B.C. residents are encouraged to wait for the updated COVID vaccines if possible, but people can still get last season's shots if they need them.

B.C. residents can still get COVID shots until arrival of updated vaccines: province