Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Feb, 2025 12:20 PM
  • Fort Nelson shooting charges stayed against two men including gang leader

A spokeswoman for the BC Prosecution Service says charges have been stayed against two men in connection with a shooting last month in Fort Nelson, B.C., including one identified by police and in the courts as a gang leader.

RCMP previously said that Jarrod Bacon had been charged with aggravated assault, while another man named John Chasse faced an assault charge in connection with the Jan. 29 shooting that sent one person to hospital.

Court records show Bacon and Chasse, both 41 years old, have criminal histories dating back decades in B.C.

Bacon has been identified by police and in the courts as one of the leaders of the Red Scorpions — a drug trafficking group tied to a deadly gang war in the province.

Spokeswoman Damienne Darby says in a statement that the stay of proceedings against the men occurred on Feb. 14.

She says the service does not disclose the reasons for such decisions, but the prosecutor reviewed the investigative materials and charge approval standard was no longer met.

"In these circumstances a stay of proceedings is the appropriate course of action," she says in the statement.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in
Some former candidates complained that the Conservatives were being infiltrated by the Official Opposition — whose leader Kevin Falcon ended his party's campaign last Wednesday — and at least one said they planned to run as an independent.

B.C. Conservatives add, subtract candidates, as some complain of BC United moving in

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing
The Better Business Bureau is calling for businesses to be vigilant after a series of reported phishing attacks. The B-B-B says it has received calls from a number of B-C businesses about attempts made through e-mail or text to give up trademark information.

BBB warns businesses regarding phishing

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Alleged arrest in series of crimes
Nanaimo R-C-M-P say a man has been arrested after allegedly committing a series of crimes over the long weekend including stealing and crashing a car. Police say they received calls yesterday afternoon of the suspect wielding a machete and breaking windows while assaulting people in the 21-hundred block of Duggan Road.

Alleged arrest in series of crimes

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins
Most HandyDART trips in Metro Vancouver have been cancelled as unionized workers for the specialized transit service begin a strike. Regional transport provider TransLink says in an online notice that most HandyDART trips are cancelled due to the job action but the service is still available for people with medical conditions who need to get to appointments for cancer, renal or multiple sclerosis treatments.

Transit workers for Metro Vancouver HandyDART service to rally after strike begins

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll
When August rolled around, April Hicke realized the $100 she typically gives her 13-year-old son to update his wardrobe in time for school to start was no longer enough. Hicke increased her son's budget to $200, taught him about looking for deals and used an annual Patagonia sale and resale sites like Poshmark to find savings on such big-ticket items as winter coats.

Cash-strapped parents seek back-to-school deals as years of inflation take a toll

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists
Former British Columbia Liberal cabinet minister Terry Lake says he'll consider voting for Premier David Eby's New Democrats if the B.C. Conservatives don't shift to the political centre, especially on the issue of climate change.

Former B.C. Liberal minister says he may vote NDP, as Eby woos disaffected centrists