Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Four Men Found Guilty In Toronto Cafe Killing

Darpan News Desk, 12 May, 2017 01:23 PM
    TORONTO — Four men accused of arranging a brazen daytime killing at a crowded Toronto cafe as part of a feud among drug traffickers were found guilty of first-degree murder on Thursday.
     
    The convictions of Nicola Nero, Martino Caputo, Rabih Alkhalil and Dean Wiwchar carry automatic life sentences without parole eligibility for 25 years. The men were also convicted of conspiracy to commit murder.
     
    The four had been on trial for the death of John Raposo, who was shot on the patio of the Sicilian Sidewalk Cafe on the afternoon of June 18, 2012, as soccer fans gathered to watch a Euro Cup game.
     
    The men showed little emotion as their verdicts were announced in a packed courtroom. Jury members deliberated for two days before making their decision.
     
    Raposo's family thanked the judge, the jury and the prosecutors involved in the case but said they were still mourning their loss.
     
    "Our hearts are broken. Justice cannot bring back the missing link in our family," Raposo's cousin, Helen Pacheco said outside court. "We ask everyone to remember John not how he died but how he lived."
     
    Prosecutors accused Wiwchar of actually carrying out the killing of Raposo. They said the men on trial orchestrated the hit on their rival partly because they believed Raposo had ratted Nero out to authorities.
     
    Nero, Caputo and Alkhalil plotted to steal a 200-kilogram shipment of cocaine from Raposo, split the money between them, and have him assassinated, court was told.
     
    The Crown relied partly on encrypted messages it said were exchanged by the men in the months leading up to the shooting.
     
    In at least one message, Nero called Raposo a "rat" who deserved to die for the harm he had caused, court heard. Another message had Wiwchar calling himself a contract killer who warranted a $100,000 fee.
     
    But one of the defence lawyers said any talk of revenge in those messages was pure "macho trash talk" and should not be considered proof of a murder plot.
     
    Alan Gold, who represents Nero, told the court the group considered stealing the drugs from Raposo to be retribution enough.
     
    Prosecutors alleged Wiwchar travelled from Vancouver for the job, and donned an elaborate disguise in an effort to evade authorities.
     
    Witnesses described the killer as wearing a shoulder-length wig, sunglasses, a dust mask, an orange construction vest with a reflective X on it and a hardhat, court heard.
     
    The Crown said a hardhat, construction vest and skin-coloured face masks were among the items found in Wiwchar’s Vancouver home, while searches on his home in Surrey, B.C. netted a cache of firearms as well as wigs, liquid latex skin, theatrical makeup, fake moustaches and beards and other items.
     
    Other searches uncovered more than $60,000 in cash, the prosecution said.
     
    Wiwchar was arrested three days after Raposo's death. Nero, who was arrested in a drug investigation roughly a month before the killing, was charged while behind bars in early 2013, around the same time that Caputo was arrested in Germany. Alkhalil was arrested in Greece the following year.
     
    The four men are to be sentenced on the conspiracy count at a still-to-be determined date but their lawyers will return May 23 possibly to make arguments about how long it took to get to trial.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    On Centennial, Canadians To Stop And Mark Bloody Legacy Of Battle Of Vimy Ridge

    On Centennial, Canadians To Stop And Mark Bloody Legacy Of Battle Of Vimy Ridge
      The word conjures images of blood and death. Of men caught in barbed wire and mowed down by machine-gun fire. Of the horror and senselessness of war.

    On Centennial, Canadians To Stop And Mark Bloody Legacy Of Battle Of Vimy Ridge

    FIRST LOOK: New $10 Bank Note Unveiled To Celebrate Canada's Sesquicentennial

    FIRST LOOK: New $10 Bank Note Unveiled To Celebrate Canada's Sesquicentennial
    OTTAWA — The Bank of Canada has unveiled a new $10 bank note to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Confederation — and it will mark the first time an indigenous Canadian and a woman other than the Queen are featured on the country's currency.

    FIRST LOOK: New $10 Bank Note Unveiled To Celebrate Canada's Sesquicentennial

    Public Services Minister Judy Foote Taking Leave From Trudeau Cabinet For Family Reasons

    Public Services Minister Judy Foote Taking Leave From Trudeau Cabinet For Family Reasons
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Public Services Minister Judy Foote is taking an indefinite leave of absence from her job for personal and family reasons.

    Public Services Minister Judy Foote Taking Leave From Trudeau Cabinet For Family Reasons

    Motorists Urged To Use Road Sense Around Dopey, Hungry Bears On B.C. Roadsides

    Motorists Urged To Use Road Sense Around Dopey, Hungry Bears On B.C. Roadsides
    NANAIMO, B.C. — Bears across British Columbia are emerging from hibernation and the BC Conservation Officer Service says they are hungry and will stop anywhere for a snack.

    Motorists Urged To Use Road Sense Around Dopey, Hungry Bears On B.C. Roadsides

    Ex-Nurse Charged With Killing Eight Seniors Waives Right To Prelim

    Ex-Nurse Charged With Killing Eight Seniors Waives Right To Prelim
    WOODSTOCK, Ont. — A former Ontario nurse accused of killing eight seniors in her care has waived her right to a preliminary hearing and will go straight to trial.

    Ex-Nurse Charged With Killing Eight Seniors Waives Right To Prelim

    Surrey RCMP Seize Thousands Of Dollars In Allegedly Stolen Goods From Store

    Surrey RCMP Seize Thousands Of Dollars In Allegedly Stolen Goods From Store
    Surrey RCMP advises that a retail theft fencing operation was shut down recently in the City Centre area.

    Surrey RCMP Seize Thousands Of Dollars In Allegedly Stolen Goods From Store