Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fourth deer in B.C. found with fatal chronic wasting disease

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Dec, 2024 01:33 PM
  • Fourth deer in B.C. found with fatal chronic wasting disease

A fourth case of fatal chronic wasting disease has been found in a white-tailed deer in British Columbia's Kootenay region.

The provincial Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship says federal inspectors confirmed the deer that was harvested in October is another in a cluster of cases found near Cranbrook.

A statement from the ministry says the first two cases in B.C. were confirmed by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency in January and the third was announced last month.

Wasting disease affects deer, elk, moose and caribou, attacking their central nervous system and causes cell death in the brain.

The ministry says more than 3,000 samples have been collected from the Kootenay region with only four cases of wasting disease, indicating "a low disease prevalence."

The statement says there is no direct evidence that the disease can be transmitted to humans and there have been no reports of human cases, but Health Canada recommends that people not eat meat of an infected animal.

MORE National ARTICLES

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service
The BC Wildfire Service says hot and dry weather paired with 29 consecutive days of lightning has led to the more than 400 active wildfires burning across the province. Though seasonable temperatures are forecast to return this week, the service says new lightning-caused fires are expected to persist.

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000
The leader of British Columbia's Opposition says he would introduce the largest provincial income tax cut in provincial history if his party is elected to form government this fall. Kevin Falcon says BC United would eliminate the tax on the first $50,000 earned by every person in B.C., allowing taxpayers to keep an additional $2,050 on average.

BC United promises huge provincial income tax cut, raising exemption to $50,000

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada
A House of Commons committee will investigate how a man who is now facing terror charges was admitted to Canada and obtained citizenship. Members of Parliament on the public safety and national security committee voted unanimously on Tuesday to launch a study on the terror suspects arrested in the Toronto area last month. 

Parliamentary committee to probe how Toronto terror suspect was admitted to Canada

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report
A recently released international report says Canada's temporary foreign worker program is a "breeding ground" for contemporary slavery. The final report by a United Nations special rapporteur who visited Canada last year says a power imbalance prevents workers from exercising their rights.

Canada's foreign worker program 'breeding ground' for modern slavery: report

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations
Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke has directed staff to conduct a review of financial penalties for violating fire bans in an effort to potentially increase the fines. It comes after the city says its fire department has responded to more than 400 brush and grass fires since May 1st, most of which were caused by human activity.

Surrey Mayor to review penalties for fire ban violations

19 year old charged in extortion crimes

19 year old charged in extortion crimes
Police in Metro Vancouver say a 19-year-old man has been charged with almost two dozen offences related to the alleged online sexual extortion of teenagers. Burnaby R-C-M-P say the investigation began after victims in Nova Scotia, Quebec and Ontario reported to local police that they were being extorted for money after sharing explicit images with someone they met on social media platforms.

19 year old charged in extortion crimes