Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Aug, 2023 11:50 AM
  • Fundraiser honours firefighter who died in B.C.

Photo courtesy of Facebook (Zack Muise)

The young Ontario firefighter who died last week in British Columbia has been identified as Zak Muise in an online obituary and a tribute by the firefighting contractor he worked for.

Big Cat Wildfire shared a photo of Muise in his uniform and called him a "vital member" of one of its crews.

The 25-year-old died Friday as he helped battle the massive Donnie Creek wildfire in northeastern B.C.

RCMP have said he was killed when his heavy-duty ATV rolled over a steep drop on a gravel road in a remote area about 150 kilometres north of Fort St. John.

A brief online obituary posted on the website of a Waterford, Ont., funeral home in the name of his family says Muise is survived by his parents and five older siblings.

It says Muise was "loved by many," and the family is grateful to all firefighters and other first responders "who are still fighting."

It says a funeral is scheduled for later this month in Simcoe, Ont., and that a public memorial in B.C. is also being planned.

A fundraiser for the Canadian Critical Incident Stress Foundation has been launched in Muise's honour.

The organization provides support, education and training for first responders, veterans and their families and runs a camp for families and children coping with loss.

Muise was a contracted firefighter working to fight the nearly 6,000-square-kilometre Donnie Creek blaze in the province's northeast — the biggest wildfire in B.C.'s history.

Muise's Instagram page shows him enjoying time outdoors with family and friends, camping, snowboarding and golfing.

Muise is the fourth Canadian firefighter to die this year fighting wildfires, and the second to die in B.C.

On July 13, 19-year-old Devyn Gale died while combating a wildfire near her hometown of Revelstoke, B.C., after she was struck by a falling tree.

"Our hearts go out to all the families of fallen firefighters," Muise's obituary says.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Liberals say Eby's drug strategy 'too narrow'

B.C. Liberals say Eby's drug strategy 'too narrow'
The overdose crisis debate is expected to continue through the spring as the government highlighted in its throne speech its work on a model of addictions care that moves people from detox to treatment.

B.C. Liberals say Eby's drug strategy 'too narrow'

2 teen female pedestrians in hospital after being struck in Richmond

2 teen female pedestrians in hospital after being struck in Richmond
The driver of the vehicle, a 17-year old female, was uninjured. She remained at scene and was cooperative with investigators. Both pedestrians were not on the roadway during the collision. All persons involved are from Richmond.

2 teen female pedestrians in hospital after being struck in Richmond

B.C. announces one-time billion-dollar growth fund

B.C. announces one-time billion-dollar growth fund
The premier says the grants are available to B.C.'s 188 municipalities and regional districts, and can be used to prepare for future growth and build amenities to support housing developments. Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke says the province's investment is much needed by Surrey, the fastest-growing city in B.C.

B.C. announces one-time billion-dollar growth fund

Trade minister apologizes to MPs for ethics breach

Trade minister apologizes to MPs for ethics breach
Mario Dion ruled in December that Ng broke a section of the Conflict of Interest Act by failing to recuse herself from the decision her office made in spring 2020 to hire the public relations firm Pomp and Circumstance, co-founded by the minister's friend Amanda Alvaro.

Trade minister apologizes to MPs for ethics breach

Anand can't say if balloon gathered Canadian intel

Anand can't say if balloon gathered Canadian intel
Anita Anand says Canada opted against shooting it down over Canadian airspace because it was deemed not to pose a threat to public safety. And she says Norad, the Canada-U.S. continental defence system, tracked the balloon throughout its flight, but she won't say precisely where it was when it was first detected.

Anand can't say if balloon gathered Canadian intel

Five arrested following police standoff in Burnaby

Five arrested following police standoff in Burnaby
Police say they were told the suspect had gone to a home a block away on Graveley Street. With the help of the Vancouver Emergency Response Team, RCMP took three men into custody outside the residence, while two suspects remained inside.Police say they were told the suspect had gone to a home a block away on Graveley Street.    

Five arrested following police standoff in Burnaby